Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Removing Car Alarm

I know this isn't for a bmw but its for my dads old jeep he has at our bach. The alarm isn't responding to the remote anymore. Changed the battery in the remote but no help so i think our only choice nw is to cut the alarm and try and re-wire it. Its an Izuzu Big Horn like 1987. Is there any trick to cutting and reattaching the old wires? is it a complicated process looked on the internet and to me it seems complicated or does it just take a lot of time?

or is it as simple as disconnecting the alarm brain?

Edited by Nite

Its dependent on how well it was installed in the first place mate, unless you have a grasp on auto electrics I would recommend taking it to a pro, should cost 3 hours worth of work.

most alarms are hooked into the ignition wiring loom just down a bit from teh ignition key and switch etc .

they normally break into the main power feeds to the coil and starter motor , so by reconecting them , cutting the alarm siren , away you go .

but if its a factory alarm i would be a bit more carefull

the cars on an island so taking it to an auto electrician is not really an auto so its not much of a biggy if it doesn't go anymore. i assume its an aftermarket alarm but its a brand i've never really heard of called unilarm? read on the internet that if i was able to disconnect the relay that it mite work? haven't had a chance to inspect it myself. Thanks tho