Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

Room for improvement on E39 540 Exhaust?

I spoke to a very helpful man on the phone yesterday at Amsterdam Motors in Lower Hutt. I was making an appointement to get the car in because it's mid-range power problem seems to be getting worse.

I mentioned some very helpful people on the interwebs have suggested either blocked cats or an AFM problem and I wanted a proper diagnosis. He ran through the symptoms with me again on the phone and said to try unplugging the AFM and go for a drive. This weirded me out a little, because if you do this to a Subaru it will throw a MAJOR strop. So, just taken it for a spin down the road and OH MY! It now revs & accelerates like I guess it should. The difference is absolutely amazing and I can now see why people have been telling me it shouldn't get over-taken by Corolla's when I've got my foot up it.

It's still going in on Monday for a trans flush and for them to take another look over it - but in the interim, is there any harm in driving it with the AFM disconnected? I presume it uses a map sensor and the AFM for minor Air/Fuel ratio adjustments?

Is the AFM servicable in any way, or is it a throw away / $1000 replacement item?

*Glenn* - you were completely 100% on the money!

Gleen seems to always be 100% or very very close haha its scary but awesomely helpful at the same time!

Man i want a 540i now :rolleyes:

I spoke to a very helpful man on the phone yesterday at Amsterdam Motors in Lower Hutt. I was making an appointement to get the car in because it's mid-range power problem seems to be getting worse.

I mentioned some very helpful people on the interwebs have suggested either blocked cats or an AFM problem and I wanted a proper diagnosis. He ran through the symptoms with me again on the phone and said to try unplugging the AFM and go for a drive. This weirded me out a little, because if you do this to a Subaru it will throw a MAJOR strop. So, just taken it for a spin down the road and OH MY! It now revs & accelerates like I guess it should. The difference is absolutely amazing and I can now see why people have been telling me it shouldn't get over-taken by Corolla's when I've got my foot up it.

It's still going in on Monday for a trans flush and for them to take another look over it - but in the interim, is there any harm in driving it with the AFM disconnected? I presume it uses a map sensor and the AFM for minor Air/Fuel ratio adjustments?

Is the AFM servicable in any way, or is it a throw away / $1000 replacement item?

Can supply AFM at lowest price if needed.

Regards Ray

Not servicable. Either get one of Ray @ HELLBM or if you want a new one, give me the Bosch part # off the MAF and i'll price it for you with the BS discount.