Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

Another Hamilton E30 325i

Hey guys, just returned from Auckland pretty much.

Bought this UK import e30 325i, black, leather, and with 150,000km. It's not mint, but nor could you expect it for the price I paid. This is gonna be a pretty cheap build, as I'm a poor uni student. Famous last words? :P

Driving up was pretty fun, we had a couple of 'sparring' partners in V8 commodores that gave my little Honda a go. I'd like to think I held my own :lol:;) .

When we got there, this guy had BMWs everywhere. Some of you may remember he had an E30 for sale with a Commodore 3.8 a while ago. He had another in the garage that was his current project. He was a really nice South African dude, and let me drive his V12 7 series. Man, how smooth are those.

The car is mint mechanically, the engine runs very smoothly and powerfully. I can't wait to get a manual into it (sell you bloody Integra!). Of course, it has some problems:

1. The ABS light stays on. Hopefully it's an individual wheel sensor that does this, or a loose connection, and not something overly complication and/or expensive. What would be a methodical way to check this out?

2. The car goes flat if you leave it standing. Once again, hopefully it's just a bad ground or something. What would be the common points to check?

3. Scratches and faded paint on the roof. This isn't really a problem, and hopefully something I can tackle over summer.

4. Auto. This will be sorted out when the Integra sells or when I find a pot of gold.

Anyway, here are some pics of it, with the other nugget parked behind it

post-2110-1256361011.jpg

post-2110-1256361019.jpg

post-2110-1256361032.jpg

post-2110-1256361036.jpg

post-2110-1256361040.jpg

Looks like a nice score & good price too if its the one thats been on tm.

Go the black leather.

nice, I had a look at that car the other day, seemed allright, don't think I found any rust on it.

ahh so you did get one , nice buy

Haha Dietmar!

So you've hogged 2 parks in the smooshed Waikato University carpark.

Stoked you finally have found an e30. Get rid of the god damn Integra's and Subaru's!

You never know, I might actually do that Brook, as I'm looking at another E30, but with more fruit (OBC, sunroof, motorsport seats, Tech 1 wheel).

Starting work on it in 2 weeks:

1. Small rust removal

2. Paint roof, bonnet, and small sections including a hole in the door from a removal of some silly locking system + cut and polish

3. New spark plugs, change power steering fluid, brake fluid, and ATF (if I don't convert to manual) and just generally get it running mint.

4. Swap speedo to KMH unit

Anyway, back to Economics study!

Just a photoshop with the rims dummy fitted. Hub adapters will push them out too far, so I might see if I can get them redrilled. We'll see

post-2110-1259126055.jpg

are they 4x114??

I got my 323i off the South African guy too. He was awesome too deal with. He even met us half way when we picked the car up

Got a full G260 gearbox conversion and a few random bits and pieces like a speedo cluster and uncracked fusebox cover for $350, which I'm pretty stoked about.

Bought some recaro fishnets with E30 rails, just have to contact dutchy to see if he's passing through Palmerston North.

I just need to get a Z3 shifter and a new clutch kit now. Any recommendations in Tauranga/Hamilton for the clutch and flywheel machining?

Got a full G260 gearbox conversion and a few random bits and pieces like a speedo cluster and uncracked fusebox cover for $350, which I'm pretty stoked about.

Bought some recaro fishnets with E30 rails, just have to contact dutchy to see if he's passing through Palmerston North.

I just need to get a Z3 shifter and a new clutch kit now. Any recommendations in Tauranga/Hamilton for the clutch and flywheel machining?

Waikato Brake and Clutch. They can machine and supply a new parts... I used them and they are awesome, and not as expensive as genuine for parts.

Hyrdatech on Kahikatea Drive can lighten your flywheel, if you show them how much you want taken off. Costs about $30 - $40.

Z3 Shifter, talk to Jason ( SIR E30 ) and get a brass linkage while you are at it, Kerry has them..

Edited by Mark247