Sign in to follow this  
Braeden320

Best way to hook up an MP3 Player in a Car

Im interested to hear how people run the ipods/mp3 players in there cars, Im sure theres plenty of you that do.

I have the factory 6 CD Stacker with Steering Wheel controls in my ST220, It has a button on the Headunit that says CD/AUX. I quick search on the net says that the aux input for my car is in the glovebox, but I havn't checked that out as yet.I want to hook and MP3 player in the system somehow as it just makes sense.

Have looked at FM Tuners that run of the cigy lighter but unsure about sound quality etc.

Open to all ideas

Cheers

Guest Simon*

Glovebox connection sounds like a great option if you can give it a try?

Quality will be a million times better than an FM tuner mate

For your particular h/u. Go through Aux, look in your glove box and see what cables needed, most likely 2xRCA or 3.5mm jack - Easiest and best option for you.

For mine, I have a direct iPod connection - Best possible quality

For a mates, he runs an iTrip style device that transmits the MP3 player through a radio frequency - poorest quality.

FM tuners are crap, do everything you can to hook it up with AUX before you even consider one.

In fact Id rather burn cd's all day than use one !

Are there any ST220 forums in the UK ? Id bet money someone has already done the hardwork for you and worked out how to do it if there is.

The Renault has I-Pod cable and control, the Beemer has a direct input I-Pod cable and the I-Pod simply docks with it and is controlled from the head deck.

You can get a I-Pod cable that can splice directly into your aerial input.

Looks to take a 3.5mm jack in the glovebox. So you would run a cable from there, to the ipod?

Sorry im a n00b at car audio, Looking to buy a complete setup. Cables, Ipod etc

Yes sir. 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

From the headphone jack on your ipod to the Aux in.

I'd say aux is the best. when using my ipod using the ipod controller on my headdeck i find it kidna slow to respond to and u need a decent head unit to even navigate through all ur playlist, folders etc. I like aux because u have the ability to just quickly using the ipod to pick songs faster (when u have pulled over of course:P).

X2. Aux is best, just buy a car charger.

If I had money to upgrade the headdeck etc. I would get one with an Aux input. It is the best way to put your iPod through your car stereo without spending a fortune on a head deck that is actually good at iPod control.

I use an actual iTrip. Not a cheap/sh*t fake. Its not that great around town but is pretty bloody good for something that is wireless in the countryside, especially good on roadtrips. But I first heard one in Turangi which gave me a good impression of them.

I use an itrip as my CD Player doesn't accept aux input (surprising considering it is hardly entry level!).

itrip is flexible as I can take it from vehicle to vehicle, but quality is barely acceptable, esp in the BMW for some reason.

It's OK, but as others have said aux is the way to go.

So i got the 3.5mm Plug, a Samsung MP3 player and loaded it with music but the headunit isn't picking up that anything is plugged into the AUX. Any ideas?

Shouldn't you just press whatever you press to switch from like, CD > Radio > AUX like most headunits?

Yep,not working.

As the wires move when the glovebox opens i suspect that they are broken inside. Reading online it seems to be a fairly common problem.

UPDATE

Got it working,Turns out that the AUX feature had never been turned on, Couple of menus in the headunit that I hadn't found before that needed the settings changing to get AUX to work.

Penry you were right, A guy from STDrivers forum was able to help out.

Quality is bloody good so stoaked with the end result.

Cheers for all the help

Different question, similar topic.

Other than CD's where do you all buy your music from online? Not interested in File Sharing sites either.Want to do it the right way

I don't have an Ipod, just an 8GB Samsung MP3 player if that makes a difference.

Cheers..