Sign in to follow this  
owe

Rear diff replacement

Does anyone know where I could get a rear diff replacement for my 88 320i?

My current one makes a constant whine, I've tried replacing the oil a couple of times but no change.

Cheers

could be a few things aye, are u sure its the diff?

if it is the diff, either have to get it reconditioned or probably source one 2nd hand from another e30, doesnt have to be the same ratio, as long as it bolts on aye, saves u time looking for identical one

No I'm not 100% sure but everyone who has more of a clue than me seems to think it's the diff making the noise (not wheel bearings).

Any suggestions for taking it somewhere to get it reconditioned?

Thanks

make sure u put the right oil in the diff as well. I believe E30 diffs take 80W viscousity oil. Mite wanna go and see Ernest at Bavarian Motors in Glenfield

The diff on my last E36 made a constant whine .. but as soon as i took my foot off the accelerator it became noticably louder ...

I got the diff internals reconditioned but when i got it back it still did a little whine .. they said to fully get rid of the noise i'd have to change the whole diff .... after that the noise went away ...

Edited by aliluya

i have a 4.11 diff from a e28 520i 1983 if you need .

contact retrah1@wave.co.nz

Guest Andrew

Would that work on my e30 '88 320i?

Thanks

maybe - maybe not.. some of the subframe mounts are different early to new e30. I can't comment on what 5 series ones are like.

It sounds as though your diff is the problem. As the teeth wear out they can make a whining noise that is more noticeable the faster you go and will be irrespective of accelerating or not.

In regards to oil i'm using Redline diff oil in mine as that was recommended by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

In regards to changing the diff, the E28 diffs will fit quite nicely into the E30 (since they're the same) but be sure to get a suitable ratio otherwise it can be just as frustrating as driving with a whine.