Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Suggestions for a major service

I'm going to get a service on my 740i. Probably Page European in Wellington

I'm going to ask for the following basics: what else would the gurus suggest?

- Oil filter and oil

- Micro filter

- Spark plugs

- Air filter

- Coolant

Getting the Aircon regassed Thursday next week.

Depends on K's/Condition, what has been done in previous services etc.

But you seem to have the basics covered

Edited by braeden.

Power steering fluid and brake fluid.

Maybe the diff as well if you are keen.

What ever is recommended by BMW?

+1. Once they have checked it, I'm sure they will recommend what needs doing. If this is the first service you are doing and you dont know, or have its history, leave it up to them to advise you, then you can decide what you can afford and what you'll need to save for.

That chap there Mike is it will know, let him have a look over it for ball joints and future maintenance that may come up, coolant and brake fluid change and battery service are good preventative measures.

The OBC should tell you whether it needs an inspection I or II and if the clock is showing it will need a coolant flush aswell.

Then let the manual tell you whats needed depending on the inspection required. Vijay will know whats needed anyway.

Trans fluid change

Added to the list - thanks

+1. Once they have checked it, I'm sure they will recommend what needs doing. If this is the first service you are doing and you dont know, or have its history, leave it up to them to advise you, then you can decide what you can afford and what you'll need to save for.

Thanks Penry, Glenn and others

Will take it to Page for a WOF and new battery next week and get them to give me a list of what needs doing. Only thing that needs fixing (I think) for the WOF is the window washer hose has come off inside the bonnet - I fixed it before the last WOF but didn't do a good enough job LOL.

I'm keen to do things like transmission fluid even if they are no suggested by BMW. Just seems to make sense to chang the fluid after 10 years!

Car is otherwise going great.

I did almost sell for to buy a 2001 BMW 330i convertible with red leather but thankfully it was sold to someone else saving my wallet. I am now tempted again, but this timke by a soilver E65!

Got the WOF. Washer hose repaired, and front left wheel swapped to the rear hoping this would fix the shake at certain speeds. That was $187, and unfortunately the shake is still there, and in fact happending more often, and is more noticable.

Vijay tells me my car already has had the front control arm buses replaced so thats not the issue. He has recommended I get my wheels balanced when they are hot as otherwise they are balanced for a slight flat spots that form when the tyres are sitting cold due the weight of the car. Worth a try.

Also replaced the battery; OMG $427!

Got the WOF. Washer hose repaired, and front left wheel swapped to the rear hoping this would fix the shake at certain speeds. That was $187, and unfortunately the shake is still there, and in fact happending more often, and is more noticable.

Vijay tells me my car already has had the front control arm buses replaced so thats not the issue. He has recommended I get my wheels balanced when they are hot as otherwise they are balanced for a slight flat spots that form when the tyres are sitting cold due the weight of the car. Worth a try.

Perhaps you have bent wheels...Ge the best two put on the front.

I had a telstar that shuddered in the rear put the spare on left, still there, put on right rear, went away, bent rim hard to notice, could be that.

How about the thrust arm bushes? I think they're also known as reaction rods, or traction arms. When those are naffed they are known to cause a shimmy. I had mine done recently (installed heavier duty x5 bushes) and the shimmy was gone.