Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

X6M Review

Well one of the perks of having a family member in the BMW family is you get to see the latest almost before everyone else ...

So she brought this home today and I just had to take a couple of photos and provide a bit of reivew and impression (let it be known that I've actually been looking forward to seeing this car in the metal and have been itching to drive it and experience it) - it is 1 of 2 currently in NZ.

The beast from the front:

Posted Image

Side shot:

Posted Image

Big wheels and 4 pot monoblock brakes (pizza sized disc!!)

Posted Image

Lots of cooling ducts and vents for this car:

Posted Image

The rear shot:

Posted Image

Rear diffuser of sort:

Posted Image

Rather flat sort of an undercarriage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Noise control:

Posted Image

Surprisingly not a ridiculous amount of M decals on this car, very subtle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interior - almost the same as the standard car - which is rather disappointing (would have preferred an "M" specific interior instead. You do get a TV screen for the rear though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A very cool reverse camera feature - Bird's eye view (you'd have to be an idiot to curb the wheels on this thing I say)

Posted Image

Paddles!!!!

Posted Image

The heart of the beast!! (actually pretty much all covered by plastic .. bit disappointing really - I'd have like to see the twin turbos sitting atop of the V8 to be honest!! - perhaps even a window in the bonnet showing off the turbos haha - ala Corvette ZR1)

Posted Image

So driving impression:

It is a rather heavy car and you do feel the weight. But for the size it does actually handle quite well and is fairly nimble for what it is (turning circle's not too bad either).

There's ZERO turbo lag - and I mean ZERO - If I didn't know better I'd have thought this thing was NA.

It has almost an uncanny feel turning a fast corner - it just sits flat with no roll (as one would expect of a M car) - however in this instance it's actually the work of the active roll control system.

Is it a M3, M5 or M6 replacement ...... unfortunately no it's not. There's a distinct lack of exhaust note on this thing for some reason and even less of engine noise - in fact there's virtually nothing coming from that twin turbo V8 ... it's almost as if it's dumbed down purposely just to be civilised.

It handles very well for a SAV, but it's not a M3 or M5 or M6 beater in the handling department - not even close in my opinion.

Despite this ... I'd have this (or rather the X5M) over a Cayenne.

If you are serious about buying one - go see the team at Newmarket (it's there for a couple of days apparently) - remember to ask for Sandra!!!

Edited by M3_Power

Not a fanboy of the X6 but this is pretty sweet!

Is it just me or does the wheel arch look way to big and square, or conversely, the wheels too small and the car too high?

Also, what is the vision out the back window like?

I dig it. Not perfect but i'd happily own one.

Agree re wheels and arches tho.

Typing this on my phone, so going to make it short and sweet.

The wheels are too small for the car and it does sit rather high for a M car.

Vision out the back window is restricted that's why you have the camera bird's eye view ... There's also a plain reversing cam option.

Yes i agree the X6 is a bit of a pointless car ... Size of a toyota prado that seats 4 with the boot space of a mini cooper haha .... But i guess it'll appeal to those that have everything ...

Price is a bit steep though at close to a quarter of a million ....

The gap between the grill and the bumper is just plain wrong.

Sweet pics and writeup tho, thanks!

Looks amazing, and totally pure indulgence toy.

How much BMW is planning to sell one of this? The reviews haven't been kind.

What's with the colour white nowadays? Suddenly it's popular again?

Edited by 318Touring

Looks ... ugly. But we already knew that.

The lack of lag is interesting - its not that surprising as its two smallish twin scroll turbos with the most efficient exhaust routing to maximise spool. Its pretty cool and only possible coz the turbo's are in the valley.

The gap between the grill and the bumper is just plain wrong.

Function over form I think - wouldn't be surprising that this thing runs real hot - it'd be part of radiator cooling.

How much BMW is planning to sell one of this? The reviews haven't been kind.

What's with the colour white nowadays? Suddenly it's popular again?

just under a quarter of a million dollars for one of these (so I don't think they'd sell many to be honest) - very pricey.

White's the new black I guess?? haha ...

The lack of lag is interesting - its not that surprising as its two smallish twin scroll turbos with the most efficient exhaust routing to maximise spool. Its pretty cool and only possible coz the turbo's are in the valley.

yes that's correct, rather clever the way BMW have plumbed the turbo (yet they hide it under a big sheet of plastic (you can't even see any of it from the side - I tried to take a photo to show it but all you see is a whole lot of nothing, so I didn't post that photo up.

I did try to take a video of the exhaust sound, but after watching the video on my computer I thought it really didn't do it justice ... so I've left the video off. Suffice to say however it doesn't sound anything like a V8 ...

Edited by M3_Power

Thanks for the review Tom. Saw it filling up at Mobil this morning, looks nice but from a quick glance didn't seem to stand out as an M car usually does. Maybe just not paying enough attention to X6s??

Gotta say I'm underwhelmed by the engine bay compared to the usual M cars.

It's still hideously ugly and the wheel arch vents appear to have been stolen from my mothers Supra.

Guest Ari Gold

Like I said before, Matt black, 33" swampers, lift kit, row of lights on the roof, gun rack in the boot = perfect X6.

Typing this on my phone, so going to make it short and sweet.

The wheels are too small for the car and it does sit rather high for a M car.

Vision out the back window is restricted that's why you have the camera bird's eye view ... There's also a plain reversing cam option.

Yes i agree the X6 is a bit of a pointless car ... Size of a toyota prado that seats 4 with the boot space of a mini cooper haha .... But i guess it'll appeal to those that have everything ...

Price is a bit steep though at close to a quarter of a million ....

Jerry Clayton BMW now has this "pointless car". I took it out for a test drive today.

Awesome power. 550-odd hp gives a point to any car I believe!

Looks? Hmmm, it is more like M-Sport styling than M styling. (I hope that comes across the right way)

I only had it for a short time - but the 0-100 is still stuck in my mind...

So, this is the fastest M car at the moment - so what is the next M5 going to be like? Can't be slower than an SUV...