Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

Car Emergency Hammer

Guest Simon*

Excuse my ignorance and laziness for not reading the whole blurb but surely the idea was to keep it INSIDE the car to break the glass in case of emergency?

I doubt it was designed to stick to the outside for thieves to grab at random :lol:

Yeah, they are ment to go inside your car.

But that doesn't stop theves from buying one... they're 12 dollars :P and use it to smash windows.

Yeah, they are ment to go inside your car.

But that doesn't stop theves from buying one... they're 12 dollars :P and use it to smash windows.

I think a thief would be more likely to use a broken spark plug.

Why would thieves buy a 12$ hammer when you can use a spark plug :ph34r:

Edit: Beaten

Edited by Forrest

What if a Theif brought one though?

They get stolen off the busses alot. I think they have a alarm now that tells the driver its been taken off.

A self loading centre punch costs less... and you wont stop a thief anyway.. a rock or brick on the side of the road or in a garden. The point of the hammer is to save yourself if your car gets submerged in water.

Those things are awesome. A kid on my bus in 3rd form took the bus one and decided to see if he tap the window really lightly to try and make it NOT break... it broke.

I always thought if you were submerged in water that you opened the window a little bit to let the water and once the car was full you opened the door because the pressure had been equalised.

How does a hammer smash the glass with the pressure of the water on the other side ? Maybe I should read the link to find out !

I always thought if you were submerged in water that you opened the window a little bit to let the water and once the car was full you opened the door because the pressure had been equalised.

How does a hammer smash the glass with the pressure of the water on the other side ? Maybe I should read the link to find out !

It probally has somthing like a sharp piece of ceramic on the end.

We could ask for a volunteer to try it out.. pretty sure one of the E30 boys could help us find out :P

Maybe someone with a spare door or a quaterlite?

I have one of these hammers and a spare piece of quarter glass which I bought on monday after some c**t broke into my corolla...could video for you guys?

Haha

Who on earth would need one of these?

http://www.offtheback.co.nz/deals?product=2292

Would make it so easy for theves to get into your car and steal things.

Careful dude, don't jynx yourself.

Could be in the under water situation yourself and then as your life flashes before your eyes, you will think back of the time you started this thread.... ' Oh emergency hammer, why did I ever question your existence'

I like to drive my car off bridges into lakes all the time so this will come in handy.

I knew we would get a volunteer :D

car windows break from pressure i.e. ponds per square inch rather than just force so a small force over small area i.e the sharp tip will break it much easier than a rock etc thrown hard

also some of the times this would come in handy is

1. breaking the window if they are electric and the battery is destroyed in a crash

2.breaking a window is ideal when in water if it is deep as you want it to equalised and get out d\before you sink too deep

3.shutting up the kids on long rides

4. most importantly is it has a seat belt cutter blade as pre tensioning belts are very hard to get off if you still have weight on them i.e. upside down especially if your in a panic

for the record my mum had one of these and she honestly kept it in the boot until the car was stolen

Mean handy in the boot :/

And yeah seatbelts are pretty hard to get undone when your upside down, need to hold your self up to take the weight off the belt and then unclip it.

Mean handy in the boot :/

And yeah seatbelts are pretty hard to get undone when your upside down, need to hold your self up to take the weight off the belt and then unclip it.

yea i had a big head on crash a little while back (never buy a mitsi) and it took a concerning amount of time to release the seat belt from a combination of disorientation and it having tightened when i flew against it i can only imagine it would be much worse with pretensioning belts like most modern cars have