Sign in to follow this  
E30 Newbie

Rebuild E30 323i Motor (Tips 4 performance gains)

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to this site and a newbie to BMW cars.

I just got a 1985 E30 323i 2 door and would like some help from who ever about gaining more power out of the old 2.3L six.

I've been told to dump the block and get a 2.5L rebuilt,balanced,lightened and so forth and then rebuild the old 323i head for the 2.5L short block.

Can anyone help me to understand why I would get more horsepower out of they above spec engine than just rebuilding the 323i 2.3L engine with the same work done to it.

I'm sorry if this sound silly but I'm new to all this and just want to do the job right the first time as I only have 3g to rebuild the engine and clean up the body.

I've already done the front & rear Suspension with new dobi springs and shocks plus also replaced all bushes front & rear with neoprene bushes.

Brakes are next to be done but need your help as I would like to know if theres any other model braking system able to be used on a E30 for better stopping power.

I've attched photo of 2.3L engine still in car.

Thanks all

post-5018-1257913476.jpg

Edited by E30 Newbie

fit a 2.7L block to your head from a 325e or 525e

There is a 2.7 stroker on trademe for sale at the moment..

731 head doesn't work on the 2.5 (2.5 pistons rise above the deck), What would be the point anyway. 731 head is far inferior to the 885 head.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments so far and are going to have a look at the stroker thats for sale on TM sometime this week hopefully.

Just one more question: Is there any other model of BMW that I can use to up rate the brakes on my E30 as this is my exit job.

Thanks

it cost me about 3k to rebuild my 2.5, that was not inc strip or assemble,

I had new rings, bearings, seals, valves, valve springs, balanced and i cant remember what else off the top of my head, so its not really worthwile doing it to your 2.3 esp with your budget.

As said above you will be better off with a 2.7 more power and cheaper than rebuilding yours.

Hello all hope everyone's having a good night.

Anyway I really need to ask something I've been offered and complete M52b28, 2001 engine with 54,831ks on it my Question is will it fit first off an second now easy to install.

I'm keen on this as it includings all electrics and gearbox.

I also would like to say thanks for all your guys help.

Thanks

Edited by E30 Newbie

Anyway I really need to ask something I've been offered and complete M52b28, 2001 engine with 54,831ks on it my Question is will it fit first off an second now easy to install.

Thanks

If its 2001 it will be a M54B28 and you will need a link system to run it and a manual gearbox in an E30. Its not an easy install and its expensive.

Thanks

if it is m52 me and my flatmate have done it. check out www.sexybm.co.nz