Sign in to follow this  
chris_mccoll

Faster than a 318

m50b25 192bhp factory, pretty much a plug and play swap in the e36, you will need a gearbox off a six though (i think) Fitment issues. I also am a purist when it comes to keeping things BMW so if it were me I would sell and buy a e36 325 or even 3.0l m3 which are getting pretty cheap now days, you will be lucky to find any M3 engine in NZ, but there is the m52 b28 which has about 195bhp?? but vanos SDeuropean have one right now I think.

I am installing the m50b25 in a e30 at the mo and with custom extractors and link etc I am hoping for 230 BHP and then there are still cams etc maybe even super charger 300bhp would be pretty easy if not costly. theres a e30 running around here with a 12a rotor which is pretty dissapointing in my veiw if you want a jap car buy one I say.

I'm with Jonty on this one. M50 swap would give you the least hassle & most power for your money. I watched a rolled 325 E36 sell for $2200 today at an insurance auction, it would have given you everything you needed.

The S42 was fitted to the Super Touring cars. It's 1998cc to meet the ETCC regs and 216kW @ 8300 rpm and in the region of 200Nm. It's megabucks for a motor rebuild for 40 hours of running. We detune ours a little to run the entire Southern Festival of Speed on one motor (all going well). We have built a 2.5l motor (4 cyl). Haven't actually been in the car since it has been assembled. It saves us continually buying new block for all the motors.

Cheaper to buy an M3 (or a couple of them).

The M42 is the road going engine for the 318iS.

Edited by cainchapman

Graeme, same sorta ball park for a wrecked 328i? Man or auto doesnt matter.

Prices vary massively depending on the damage. I don't see many E36 for under $1000 any more, but you can expect to pay up to $4000 for something repairable.To give you any idea on price, the 325 I mentioned was a real mess, all wheels & suspension bent, roof caved in, all windows broken etc. The running gear, interior, boot lid, spoiler & tail lights were the only usable parts on it.

put a rotary in it, my 12a bridgeport in my 1986 318i now has 290 hp not bad for a little 12 aye! :thumb:

you got some pics of your conversion dude???

Grab that Alpina B12 engine and try and fit that sucker in :lol:

Guest Spargo

Grab that Alpina B12 engine and try and fit that sucker in :lol:

It'll fit an E30, it'll fit an E36 easy. Rac Dyn did it to a Ti.

put a rotary in it, my 12a bridgeport in my 1986 318i now has 290 hp not bad for a little 12 aye! :thumb:

Rotas :puke:

But yeah each to thier own , the good thing about rotas is power to weight ratio, cos theres not 6 big cylinders to lug around.

Emma

Maybe I am just a purist, but I am against all cross make engine transplants.

Now tell me

I have wondered for a long long time about engines :

If you put a Toyota engine in a BMW , where would you take it for servicing?

I know theres more to a car than an engine, elecs, crap like that, but would you take it to Toyota or BMW hey?

Mmmmmmm

Whos the smartie to explain this one hey???

You would take it to your generic local garage/service it yourself as these would be the only people to have a clue about it... any conversion uses a myriad of parts, not always car manufacturer specific..... bmw workshops would be left stumped, no sh*t.

3sgte e21 :bowdown:

right here in aotearoa, 13b supercharged

looks the business, (mags are a bit much >_<) and has the goods to back it up ~400hp

post-5-1109028348.jpg

Edited by Point

Guest Andrew

right here in aotearoa, 13b supercharged

looks the business, (mags are a bit much >_<) and has the goods to back it up ~400hp

Shame it doesn't have anything else to back it up - loving the drums on the rear.

Guest Spargo

I love:

FL AC Schnizter kit on a pre FL car.... without a bumper conversion

VR commodore rear end, with ...4.11 diff, uh what box is it running?

It cost over 100K to build.

King sptings mated to billies.

Drum brakes in a car dropping 490hp at the fly.

Chromes.

rediculous injectors: 550cc on the rotor, and 1500cc on the intake!

I hate:

His totally badass M-tec II wing with integrated high stop light. Rarest of the rare!

Haha, i'm going to fit ACS copy rear and skirts to my little stocker, mtech2 copy front, and am sticking an Alpina badge on my steering wheel as the momo one sucks ass while the Alpina logo is the shizzness. Then i'll stick a Hartge handbrake handel on...

I've decided that i'm going to whore everything onto my car, perhaps stick Hamann badges on the front and rear???

post-5-1109114435.gif

Edited by ///Carl