Sign in to follow this  
chris_mccoll

Faster than a 318

Have got a 1996 318, want it to have more drivable power, what is the best engine to drop in, has anyone done an engine swap? what was needed and what engine, i have a 1jz from a supra that i have thought about. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Is coming along well as a project car this is the only thing i am stuck on.

Thanks

Guest Andrew

If you had the $$ to drop the 1JZ in - that would be my choice. It would probably be new territory for that engine swap into e36 though.

Maybe I am just a purist, but I am against all cross make engine transplants.

Am hearing you all, but has anyone done this before, ultimately i would love to put an m3 3 - 3.2 in it but is it hard? has anyone done it?

Exactly what Wagon said, providing you can find one.. It will be just as hard as any engine swap.

I'm all for using a BMW engine and doing nasty things to it.. ie turboing them - it's not the most "pure" way to get power out of them but it works for ones chronically lacking it.

M50 swap would be your best option Chris.

Am hearing you all, but has anyone done this before, ultimately i would love to put an m3 3 - 3.2 in it but is it hard? has anyone done it?

Chris

Was looking at doing it to my e36 320i .. however .. you have to make sure you got the breaks to stop it and suspension.

The 320hp M3 EVO engine I think is too powerful so prolly best to go with a standard 280Hp 'standard' m3 donk.

I personally saw the light ... it was going to cost about 8000-10000 to do properly.

and for a 95 e36 (mine) it wasn't worth doing. sooo I bought an e46 instead..

Why not the M60? It's just 2 of your engines, so no further length in the engine bay and great torque.

Edited by cainchapman

Why not the M60? It's just 2 of your engines, so no further length in the engine bay and great torque.

Not a bad option...reminds me of a jag I was in down south in Lincoln a few years back, had two 6'ers side by side it, very weird but bloody awesome.

If you've got money to burn and don't care about the resale value then do it otherwise just sell your car and buy a more powerful one.

.... otherwise just sell your car and buy a more powerful one.

Id tend to agree with that comment.. unless you have the money, time, and energy to burn, of course :)

Id tend to agree with that comment.. unless you have the money, time, and energy to burn, of course :)

I fully agree with both Carl and Vent.

Cheers

True, but then u don't have something different.

Is it a full nightmare doing a swap for something "sensible" like a newer BMW 2.5/2.8?

Guest Spargo

As far as swaps go, a BMW engine in a bmw car swap is always going to be easier than a jappa or a bloody great chev big block etc.

The M60 swap is easier than it sounds, but an M50 swap is probably your best bet.

Edited by CiLK WuRM

get a honda.

nah engine swaps are not worth it unless you get a dirt cheap deal or you are a mechanic and can be arsed.

swap = no.

honda = yes.

i wanted to do a swap at one stage but u put in so much money and labour

and at the end all u get is a 'wow' from ur friends (and from non bmw friends they like , um so wat did u get done a pod filter?) and fun for a while until u get bord and stive for the next big thing to top the last thing u did and all the sudden the debt collecter is here to reposses your possesions ... hmm got a bit carried away there.. my bad, but yea if u hav the time and money go for it but always much cheaper to buy a more powerful car and do mods on that

cheers

One final comment. An S42 would be the easiest swap to do. A modifed M42 would be a lot cheaper and you can get quite good gains in this motor.

The best performance mod for your money in a 318 is to get a lighter flywheel.

Have a look at this website

http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318ismods.html

Using the M42 motor.

S42 = 216kW Naturally aspirated.

post-5-1105559302.jpg

This is interesting...

Here's another tip - BMW have recognised a potential momentary power reduction after a gear change followed by full throttle - due to partial contraction of the air intake boot. A support ring, p/n 13 71 1 734 359 can be installed at the first pleat in the boot! This seems to be a US only part though...

I wonder if this is a simple mod or if this has any affect at all???

it would give about the same benifet as one of those fans that sit in the intake....

percieved performance gain: 100hp (in your mind)

actual performance gain: 0hp

homo factor increase for doing it and thinking you get mad vtak power = 73.56%

Have already owned several hot honda's and currently still have a mr2 gts with mads galore that is a bit faster than most honda's.

Back to the bmw, i have some nice adjustable suspention for it already. i am not interested in moding the current engine as would rather go for a swap.

What is the S42 out of and what is it? I am new to bmw's so don't know what engine number is what engine...

Also what power is the M50 engine. also with either engine would i need a gearbox as well? would the standard box handle the extra power.

Thanks

Chris