Sign in to follow this  
tiggger

E36 over heating

:( help needed here please, 92 E36 320i is over heating, had the water pump done in Nov 2004, belts replaced. No sign of water in motor, flushed radiator out and pressure tested.

possible thermostat value jammed open .. it happened on my old pajero once ... get it checked/replaced .. and DONT drive it till its fixed

In mine the problem was the viscous coupling on the fan. It had died due to old age and when it was getting hot it wasn't spinning and cooling the radiator.

CrazyLac had overheating problems too, so she might have some info on the situation.

Post your chassi number and I'll punch it into the TIS software, and check for common O/H problems for your car.

I'll reply tommorw, cd's at work ready for burning :o

Electric fan relay & low speed resistor failure is a common problem in E36's, also the viscious fan clutches are rubbish so be sure to check that too.

Air bubbles in the cooling system could cause it.

Try `bleeding` the the cooling system.

Do you remember Devo?

Dun dun dun da dah! Crrrack that head,

Dun dun dun da dah! It wont be that bad,

Dun dun dun da dah! You'll need a small mint,

I say crack it, crack it good. :lol:

Under reacall campain 228, the radiator caps were replaced. The old ones cracked and made the motors overheat. Water didn't escape, well it did, but was steam, not that noticable apparently.

Have alook at your rad cap for these numbers.

Part number: 17111742232 for a M20

Should be 1.4 BAR ( 140 on top of cap )

If its been replaced, there should be a sticker on drivers or passengers side door under the door latch somewhere with 220 punched out of it. Not sure if da jappas would of done this thou.

This is the recall campain on overheating for your car witout a obvious leak.

Also - check your low speed resister - these are faulty in most models. Symptom: Aux fan does not operate at low speed and/or fuse for aux fan blown.

Thats all I can find on overheating on your car with no obvious water leakage.

Edited by 318is

:D well I don't know whats going on cause it is OK now, maybe leaving it alone for a day and just giving it the odd kick as I walked past ????????????????

:( I think the water pump has broken again, so will pull apart and check. Cheers for all of your help

you won't need to 'pull apart' ( and I don't understand what you are saying with the 'pull apart' comment ) a water pump to test. If its leaking, it's obvious. If the bearing is noisy, you will hear it, and if the bearing has collapsed, you will defently know about it.

Just take off the pully belt, grab it with your manly hands, and if it has 'play' laterally or otherwise its knackered, or rumbles when you spin it, its time for a NEW one...

when the water pump was replaced last year, just the impeller part was loose on the shaft,( was the old fibre model), no movement or leaks or noise from pump , took a while to track that down then, had same symptoms then as had now only they have disappeared for some reason. will be keeping an eye on temp tho

Ah The nasty E36 overheating problem...yeah its pretty common.

ive had my waterpump impeller destroy itself randomly (yeah fiber sh*t ones)..then got mulit air locks in the system.

replaced the thermostat

parents one also had the top hose get a pinhole in it ...and that took ages to find

oh the smell of hot antifreeze and the burning hand as you open the bleed valve

I had one of those cars when I lived in the UK and it overheated too. I notice someone else mentioned the viscous fan couplng. Mine was that problem too - replaced the coupling and overheating problems gone. After the fix it would idle in traffic in mid-summer as long as you liked and not overheat. Before the fix, it only took about ten minutes in that situation to boil.

found out the problem was the cooling system wasn't bled properly, still had air in it, read some where that you should have the front of car way up in the air as the head is higher than the radiator and taps air. thanks to everyone for their help.

cheers :)B)