Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Had a gutsfull!

After three months of ownership of the Range Rover we've finally decided enough is enough!

Small timeline....

• 1st week, transmission failed - took 6 weeks to get it back
  • Went back for a missing issue which was fixed
  • Battery failed (flat) & was replaced after it was load tested
  • Went in to have dash lights fixed & the electric telescopic steering column
  • Went in again for the whole day to have a module fitted so I can tow a LED fitted trailer which they couldn't do
  • Went in again to have the radio looked at as it would not turn on when you turned the vehicle on, yet when you were driving along it would suddenly turn on at FULL volume (it has 8 speakers and a subwoofer - rather loud!)
  • Yesterday & today after work it wouldn't start because of a flat battery, seems to start fine in the mornings however, each time I've checked everything to make sure it was turned off
  • Today it was a flat tyre, not the cars fault - but when it was on the hoist they commented that it was leaking oil from the turbo charger... NICE!

That was the last straw, I've been on the phone and they've agreed to take the vehicle back for a refund and/or swap it for cash in either direction on a similar vehicle. There's been atleast another half a dozen things I've taken it in for, which I can't remember anyway. I use my vehicle as a work car, so I'm to and fro everywhere all day and need something dependable atleast.

They're offering a VW V10 Touareg, LR3 Discovery TDV6. It's Ebbet's so it's a rather large dealership and they are trying to go through some suitable stock. I think i'ts pretty good of them, I think it has to be done, as we've just lost all confidence in the Range Rover, it's a bloody nice car to look at, drive, it's powerful, gets nearly 1000km to a tank but it's been the MOST un-reliable car I've ever owned - and you all know I've owned alot of cars... It's got a full service history, it's in very good nick, it's NZ New, it's got everything going for it but it's just a PUP!

Trying to decide on a new SUV - Help!

Edited by Clinton

X5 3L TurboDiesel?

I saw one today boot it, HUUGE puff of smoke came out of the exausts... looked truly badass.

Edited by antil33t

X5 3L TurboDiesel?

I saw one today boot it, HUUGE puff of smoke came out of the exausts... looked truly badass.

They are nice, they pull hard too 160kw and 500nm from memory? Thats good, but the 6 speed auto puts that on the ground well, I've driven them before. The only issue is, I do do a bit of offroad work and the Touareg has low range & air suspension e.t.c. as does the LR3.

Pretty simple to me. V10 TDI Touareg without a doubt.

+100. If it was my money I would buy one, enough torque to tow the moon. All my friends think they're stupid.

Or a Range Rover Sport ;):P

V10 They have

That's the V10 they have, not too sure on those wheels on it...

V10 Twin Turbo diesel developing 230kw & 750nm of Torque - it can tow Boeing 747 jumbo's!

Driven all the SUVs over the last month trying to find one for the misses and I loved the v10 toerag but would still buy the 3.0 X5 sd over everything else.

What was wrong with the Touareg an X5 you've had an sold?

I like the Mercedes ML Range. When I lived in Aussie for 6months in 2007 I had a 2000 model ML270 courtsey of work. Very nice to drive.

If I had the need for an SUV thats what I would buy, but a later model.

Edited by braeden.

What was wrong with the Touareg an X5 you've had an sold?

It was a Jap import 3.2V6 and couldn't pull a greasy sausage off a plate.

but would still buy the 3.0 X5 sd over everything else.

That thing has 280hp... Bet it would scare some boy racers at the lights :D

Pretty simple to me. V10 TDI Touareg without a doubt.

Times two. Its got a silly name though. Toe-rag.

Shame the 200 series LC is so expensive.

Times two. Its got a silly name though. Toe-rag.

Shame the 200 series LC is so expensive.

Never been a fan of those Landcruisers. Odd looking things IMO. I do like that VW and they are made well I must say.

V10 Twin Turbo diesel developing 230kw & 750nm of Torque - it can tow Boeing 747 jumbo's!

Pretty sure Air NZ's Jumbo tractors don't get leather or air conditioning....

They look odd but are king pin, Toyota were building Land Cruisers when VW were only making Air Cooled cars and the only decent German off roader was the G wagon. Mmmmmm G wagon.

To be fair, you've really only had it 6 weeks. . . . . .

Go the Touareg I think, the LR 3 is made by the same people, otherwise a Land Cruiser.

Pretty sure Air NZ's Jumbo tractors don't get leather or air conditioning....

Bahaha! I don't think so!

X5 3L TurboDiesel?

V10 touareg would be awesome.

My dad's got an '05 3.0d X5 and it drives superbly. Goes round corners like a car, partly thanks to the massive treads and has a huge amount of grunt. It's not that fast, but it's effortless. The steering, brakes and throttle all feel so precise. It's a really nice (comfortable) truck to drive

We have a Land Rover Disco 3 Tdi and we have had quite alot of problems with it. Had to get brakes, steering whee,l stereo and other things changed while under warranty. Bloody good 4x4 though!

We have a Land Rover Disco 3 Tdi and we have had quite alot of problems with it. Had to get brakes, steering whee,l stereo and other things changed while under warranty. Bloody good 4x4 though!

Seems to be a universal thing with Land Rovers. I was under the understanding that they had become alot better at their reliability after the 90's They must have been the most repaired car ever in the 90's

If you want effortless power,220kw and 450nm and able to load it up,

buy my well priced 750il.

take out the back seat and it would almost be stationwagon material

and with the $$'s saved,buy another toy

that option or the tourag, had a hard time keeping up to one (v10)

in the 540

my 2c's

marty

I'm leaning towards the Touareg, one cash back option they have is this bad boy - the ultimate drug dealers accessory... X5

It is a V8 Petrol though and with my mileage I do with work I'd soon get sick of fueling it! It does sit tough though!

Hi Glen.@ nearly 200k it can stay on that website & I imagine that that thing would drink some serious fuel. I a fan of the diesels, I tow every weekend, we live in Dunedin, which is mostly hills & we live right at the top of Dunedin, so the torque thing is a goodie.