Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Climate control woes.

If its not one thing its another, This morning when driving home i noticed that the display on my climate control was dark, I thought at first the back light may have gone but pushing the buttons nothing would happen.

When i got home i turned the car off waited a few minutes then turned it back on and low and behold everything was as per normal with nice bright display and everything working.

I thought cool maybe it was just a glitch, so i turned the car off then back on again and now i have nothing at all, Just a black display, You can hear the little fan turning but thats it, If you start the car the little fan on the temp unit goes off and after about 10 seconds running you hear the ac compressor engage.

I did a bit of a search this morning and this is the only thing that i could find on my problem, I don't think it the capacitor pack for the fans as before the whole thing went dead the fans were working fine.

Has anybody else just had theirs go dead with the same problem i am getting. I don't want to go spending $100 to swap the unit over if i could fix it as per this article. >>Click here<<

Edited by M-Spec

yes comon problem . they fail in all sorts of ways . no display , no fan , dead pixels etc etc .

yes comon problem . they fail in all sorts of ways . no display , no fan , dead pixels etc etc .

Yup i think what the guy says in his article is the problem i am having, I just went to go get the part he mentions and half way there it just started working, $1.50 for the part so will replace it this weekend, Will take some better photo's of the circuit board and which one i replace so people can see it clearer and may save some people $$ on here if they want to do the same thing. He reckons 4 years down the track and its still working 100%

Ok update on this, I went into town to buy the capacitor that was mentioned and on the way i had a dead climate control. Seems we cannot get the 0.47 microfarad 50 volt tantalum capacitor that was mentioned (they rang around a few places for me as well), We went for the 0.47 microfarad 35 volt tantalum capacitor.

Anyway got the part home (Climate control goes into fail safe mode and blasts you with full fan power on hot).

Took it to pieces and replaced this piece here.

Posted Image

With this piece

Posted Image

Put everything back together closed my eyes and crossed my fingers and low and behold a nice bright display with everything working again. Price of part was $1.50, I bought 2 just incase i broke a leg off the first one or something.

good work , I'll send down a couple of failed ones i have here if you can fix them for $1.50 if you like :rolleyes:

cheers brent

good work , I'll send down a couple of failed ones i have here if you can fix them for $1.50 if you like :rolleyes:

cheers brent

No problems Brent, You send them down to me and i will fix them for you and send them back no problems. As long as you send down the window seal i am getting off you for free :D

Did this with mine a few months ago and still working fine, though I only resoldered the capacitor and a few other joints that were a bit loose (didn't bother replacing it).

Well done on getting it working again :)

Great stuff, nice job. It is always good when you can fix scary electric circuit boards with so little work and cost. Did the same on the OBC on my E30. :)

hey guys new to the forum here and you guys know abit more about these cars than i do. i have an e46 that the battery keeps going low on and i heard it was to do with the climate control unit so was wondering if anyone had an idea of a fix for it or do i need a new one? thanks in advance.

hey guys new to the forum here and you guys know abit more about these cars than i do. i have an e46 that the battery keeps going low on and i heard it was to do with the climate control unit so was wondering if anyone had an idea of a fix for it or do i need a new one? thanks in advance.

You will probably find its the heater fan speed resistor block (porcupine) if its been checked properly. Has anybody done a battery discharge check on the car for you ??

BTW: Where are you from ?? might pay to edit your profile...it does help

Edited by *Glenn*