Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

E46 On-Board Monitor

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the planning stages of retrofitting a 16:9 monitor in my E46 coupe currently using the standard business cassette. I've got a BM53 as well as the TV receiver to go with it.

These parts were inherited to me from a friend who removed it from his M3, but I'm without the original wiring loom. I'm planning to construct my own one, and I've got the pin-outs for the TV receiver and the radio tuner but I'm not exactly sure what each pin is for on the back of the TV Monitor.

After many hours of goog'ling, this is the best I've found:

post-1701-1258784337.jpg

Would anyone know is Pin: 1, 2, 7, 11, 12 is on the blue connector? (X18801) and do I need to connect anything the white connector (X18802) if I'm not using a SatNav computer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: I'm planning to do a complete write up of this "retrofit" if I'm successful

Cheers, Andrew

I'm currently in the planning stages of retrofitting a 16:9 monitor in my E46 coupe currently using the standard business cassette. I've got a BM53 as well as the TV receiver to go with it.

Excellent, great upgrade choice

These parts were inherited to me from a friend who removed it from his M3, but I'm without the original wiring loom. I'm planning to construct my own one, and I've got the pin-outs for the TV receiver and the radio tuner but I'm not exactly sure what each pin is for on the back of the TV Monitor.

After many hours of goog'ling, this is the best I've found:

post-1701-1258784337.jpg

Would anyone know is Pin: 1, 2, 7, 11, 12 is on the blue connector? (X18801) and do I need to connect anything the white connector (X18802) if I'm not using a SatNav computer?

Your googling was rather unsuccessful - there is MUCH better info than what you have available...

PS: I'm planning to do a complete write up of this "retrofit" if I'm successful

No need, it all exists in the BMW retrofit instructions

You have PM :-)

Further to my reply:

The nav/TV system needs the following key components to work:

Screen (On-board monitor)

On-Board Monitor Radio Module (BM24, BM53, etc)

Either a Nav computer, OR a TV tuner, OR both

Make sure you know if you have a old-gen pre Sept 2001 car, because if fitting a new-gen radio to an old-gen car, then you'll need to replace the antenna amplifier as well.

And note the difference in radio connectors: flat-pin = new-gen, round pin = old gen

As for wiring loom, it is a zillion times easier to use the retrofit wiring loom, and that is well worth spending the money on. They're often for sale on ebay Germany...

Heres the extra cable to make TV AND nav work:

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-Nachruest-Kabelbaum...#ht_2289wt_1143

There's a few nav cable looms available too - search for BMW navi kabelbaum - but note that fitting a standard loom instead of the retrofit loom is MUCH more work and a HUGE amount of disassembly required.

Read the retrofit instructions and note the work needed for a standard retrofit.

Then imagine what you would have to do if you have to run new speaker wires to all speakers as well.... (depending on what amplifier you have)

Edited by jochen

Hi Andrew,

let me know if you need help.. I've done the same retrofit in my coupe.

I have retrofit instructions - send me your chassis no. if you need them

there is a fair bit to do from what you have at the moment.

I have:

Mk4 nav - modded with speed cam audio alerts and modded 08 nz map disc

tv tuner

audio video input

bm54 radio module

audio aux input

Hi -Fi audio amp with 10 speakers

std 6 cd stacker

bluetooth integrated phone kit - Mk12 ULF

4:3 screen - so 16:9 is next purchase (- let me know if you end up selling your one!)

you will need radio antenna amp, tv antenna amp with coax cables (gps antenna if you go for nav)

wiring loom - making one would not be worth it!

mounting brakets for the system in the boot (if you havent already got it)

I havent seen a bm53/54 used without an amp ( I may be wrong ) - if you use the amp the standard speakers wont do the job - ( there is no independent mid or tweeters in basic system you have at the moment) and you need wiring loom for doors for the extra speakers - or make them like i did.

pretty much the entire interior of the car needs to come out ( except the dash )

it is a very cool upgrade and good fun to do. but not a simple job thou...

any tips or questions just ask - can send pics etc also

Dean

Just to clarify, I did mine by just taking the passenger front and rear seats out and lifting the carpet on the left side. So no need to remove the carpet totally. You will need to remove the center console however.

Youll also need the climate/aircon control unit / center console bezel relocation kit if you dont already have it.

edit: here is a nice retrofit kit here for not too much $$$

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...xjwHh7NaMi-GpIg

Cheers for all the help Jochen, Dean and Josh.

I've realised how big this job is turning out to be so I've decided to hold off the installation til xmas - but its getting closer now so its time to get serious again :)

I'm not sure if I've mentioned, but I've also got the full Harman Kardon system waiting to be installed as well and I was hoping I could do this all in one go.

The bits which I'm still missing are the "new gen" antenna booster, tv bumper antenna and the loom.

Instead of getting the retrofit loom, I'm planning on getting the standard loom as my current one doesn't have separate wires and connectors going to the tweeters. Does anyone know whether it'd be difficult to get the speaker cables going into the doors? (Thankfully I've only got 2)

Also, to get the TV working I'll need the bumper antenna, and from what I've read, the bumper needs to come off which means its beyond my DIY capabilities. Does anyone know of an alternative method?

Cheers, Andrew

99% sure the antenna sits in the c pilar and not your bumpers.

Antenna amp is in C-pillar

Radio and central locking antenna is on the rear window

TV antenna - as a retrofit - is behind the rear bumper

Instead of fitting behind the bumper, you could fit a couple of small on-glass antennas, or even pieces of wire, for the TV antennas. Won't be as good, but if you don't want to remove the bumper...

I'm not sure if I've mentioned, but I've also got the full Harman Kardon system waiting to be installed as well and I was hoping I could do this all in one go.

- if you have the "full" harman system you wont be able to use your original speaker wiring - as it is different.

- so using the retrofit loom that works "with" the original will be no good for the Harman system....

Instead of getting the retrofit loom, I'm planning on getting the standard loom as my current one doesn't have separate wires and connectors going to the tweeters. Does anyone know whether it'd be difficult to get the speaker cables going into the doors? (Thankfully I've only got 2)

- the door plugs will accommodate the full loom ( with harman wiring for tweeters and mids), you will just need to run the wires inside the doors to the speakers - because there are none on the standard system... Ive done this so if you need help just ask..

Also, to get the TV working I'll need the bumper antenna, and from what I've read, the bumper needs to come off which means its beyond my DIY capabilities. Does anyone know of an alternative method?

- you dont need the bumper antenna, I was told by a BMW tech that all E46 have the tv antenna in the rear window, and after some digging, I found this is correct ( at least on my car) ( its just not all have the wiring soldered onto them - once again, Ive done this so can give you tips) - and it works really well.

happy to help with things...

Dean

Edited by Dogballs

- if you have the "full" harman system you wont be able to use your original speaker wiring - as it is different.

- so using the retrofit loom that works "with" the original will be no good for the Harman system....

- the door plugs will accommodate the full loom ( with harman wiring for tweeters and mids), you will just need to run the wires inside the doors to the speakers - because there are none on the standard system... Ive done this so if you need help just ask..

- you dont need the bumper antenna, I was told by a BMW tech that all E46 have the tv antenna in the rear window, and after some digging, I found this is correct ( at least on my car) ( its just not all have the wiring soldered onto them - once again, Ive done this so can give you tips) - and it works really well.

happy to help with things...

Dean

Cheers Dean, I'll definitely look further into the TV antenna thing. I've been asking the dealers for the loom, but they've kinda ignored my emails - I'm guessing these are not a very popular item. Works been a bit too busy to allow me to call them during the day, but now it looks unlikely that I'll be getting the loom before xmas ;(