Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

Damn Non-starting issue.

87 325 of course.

Rather than wade through 1000 non-starting issue threads, I'll make one.

Drove car in to work last night in town, ran just how it usually does. Finished work at 5am or so and car would not start.

Cranks hard and gets up to 400 or so RPM. I stop cranking and it sits at 400rpm chugging for about 5-10 seconds before coming to a slow chugging stop.

There is fuel in it, I swapped some relays around to check those, fuses are fine. I gave the fuel pump some whacks. Made sure all the ignition leads were on properly.

Just went back into town now and still does the same thing. Will tow it home tonight.

My guess is fuel pump at this stage. Just looking for second opinions, I have a rather limited budget currently (trying to save for a whole summer of track days :D Spose you need a fuel pump for those though..)

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Check your airflow meter... that's what it sort of sounds like to me.

either that or your cold start sensor in the thermostat housing ? could be lots of things realy , fuel pump relay?

How much fuel is in it? Could be in-tank lifter pump slowly dying which would cause fuel starvation.

Sounds like your lack of boosted SR20 is unsatisfactory and destroying your M20. Time for Stage 2. Go go go.

Just start simple, check how much fuel pressure you are getting [Rangi way, take a line off and turn it on =D] and voltages from sensors, air leaks and the SR20 thing :rolleyes:

Could be a lack of fuel (pump/relay etc) but I doubt it as it probaby wouldn't repeatedly start & run as you describe.

From your description, my first suspicion would be that it may be flooded. Have you tried cranking while holding full throttle?

If so & no go - remove plugs & check if wet to confirm. If so - will need drying/replacing. While out - crank engine (disconnect coil) with wide open throttle to clear.

Seen this scenario as the culprit many times.

Thanks for the replies. Even basic plug pulling/pull a fuel line etc couldnt be done as I had no tools when I went back into town this arvo (and was hoping it would start)

Flooding was 2nd guess, I bet the oil covered plugs couldn't break though with decent spark.. Did indeed try full throttle cranking.

Towing it home soon!

Oh and have just found the fuel pump relay is in a different place than the fuse box.. Under a cover near the airflow meter sort of.. I will swap those around and see if it changes the situation.

Thanks for the replies. Even basic plug pulling/pull a fuel line etc couldnt be done as I had no tools when I went back into town this arvo (and was hoping it would start)

Flooding was 2nd guess, I bet the oil covered plugs couldn't break though with decent spark.. Did indeed try full throttle cranking.

Towing it home soon!

Oh and have just found the fuel pump relay is in a different place than the fuse box.. Under a cover near the airflow meter sort of.. I will swap those around and see if it changes the situation.

Listen at pump while someone cranking - should hear/feel if working

Have you removed the plugs? Are they wet? Still sounds to me as if flooded

Nah as I said I didn't have the tools on me to pull plugs. Just got it home now, will work on it in the light tomorrow.

Wouldn't even pull start leaving it in 4th for 1 kay or so on the way home.. Still had the relays in the original positions though. Will report more tomorrow after some relay swapping/plug pulling/fuel pump feeling :)

Nah as I said I didn't have the tools on me to pull plugs. Just got it home now, will work on it in the light tomorrow.

Wouldn't even pull start leaving it in 4th for 1 kay or so on the way home.. Still had the relays in the original positions though. Will report more tomorrow after some relay swapping/plug pulling/fuel pump feeling :)

Its likely the intank fuel pump, mine failed on me recently, (320i) when I was at couplands getting lunch, damn annoying.. i ended up buying a brand new fuel pump, landed for $335 for a VDO/SIEMENS oem one, (entire unit) was nice and easy to install as it as the entire thing that goes into the tank, not just the pump.

The stealership quoted $805 + GST for the same fuel pump :)

I got mine from autohausaz.com and it only took 3 days to arrive from the states.

I didn't bother with a second hand one, as in my mind any 20 year old + fuel pump is on borrowed time :)

hotwire called it. It was flooded.

Undid a fuel feed line and put it in a container and cranked, fuel pissed out. So I was like 'wtf mate'.

removed plugs (black and oily from a old, old, pistonringless engine) and they were wet.. Brakelened, reinstalled. Started.

Awesome. Didn't think EFI engines got flooded this bad, wouldn't even pull start at 50kph for 1km or so.

Drive time! Ty!

hotwire called it. It was flooded.

Undid a fuel feed line and put it in a container and cranked, fuel pissed out. So I was like 'wtf mate'.

removed plugs (black and oily from a old, old, pistonringless engine) and they were wet.. Brakelened, reinstalled. Started.

Awesome. Didn't think EFI engines got flooded this bad, wouldn't even pull start at 50kph for 1km or so.

Drive time! Ty!

Good on you!

EFI - Flooding - sure do! If engine fails to fire straight away (sluggish cranking or whatever) - fuel is still being dumped in while cranking & if not firing - it is not burning & therefore just compounds the issue.

If severe enough - wide open throttle won't clear it either & the only way to clear is to remove & dry or replace the plugs.

I have been to so many callouts over the years where this has been the problem - all sorts of cars too

Edit:

Towing won't make a difference either. If the plugs are not firing a spark to burn the fuel while cranking - unlikely to fix by towing (unless cranking speed is just to low through low voltage - then spark will also be weak)

Edited by hotwire

Yeah I was pull starting at 3000rpm at WOT and still not even a single fire! Very flooded indeed.

Just very glad it wasn't anything more serious, sure felt like it was.. and it's good to have resources like forums to run through what it could be, saves buying stuff!