Sign in to follow this  
MLM

BBS RC Refurbish

Finally after a what seems like an age I got to see the fruits of my labour yesterday.

Not the fasionable satin black but I prefer the gloss finish. DIY write up available. What do ya think? Still weighing up a time attack stripe...

post-3850-1259042547.jpg

Looks great mate. Time attack stripe would help it stand out a bit more on the car. Would be interested in reading your DIY.

They looks awesome, well done man. What colour is your E36?

Helrot red.

Will compile a DIY when I have time. Have photos of the full process

Oh matt... i forgot to ask he didn't powdercoat the hub face did he?

I've been told by many a person that is a big big no no...

Looks damm nice man...

Edited by DRTDVL

I would like to read how you did it if you write up a DIY.

+1 to wanting to see them on the car too!

Great finish, glad to see them coming out nicely

Wondered if you would recognise them...

Oh matt... i forgot to ask he didn't powdercoat the hub face did he?

I've been told by many a person that is a big big no no...

Unfortunatly yes, but this just means a bit more elbow grease for me to clean off

Unfortunatly yes, but this just means a bit more elbow grease for me to clean off

you want me to rock over with the orbital sander?

Black on red looks so good, well done, I have been a fan of black wheels since ages ago and have sported them on lots of cars over the years.

Big upside is they stay looking relatively clean, down side is they are not photogenic if you’re the posing type.

Would love to see the DIY as mine have curb/track rash.

heres a DIY from the pugworld...

I know MLM's involves filling the rash which this doesn't but it does have but thought it might be some use:

Wheel refurb...

Ok the DIY write up, I thought i would tack it on the end of this thread instead of starting a new as then its all in one place.

Step one:

Obtain some wheels and make sure they are not too damaged. Curb rash can be dealt with in your workshop buckles can't. This is what I started with.

post-3850-1259128008.jpg

Typical damage around rim.

post-3850-1259128038.jpg

Step Two

Get them cleaned. I chose bead blasting as it was a cheap available option to me at the time. Blasting strips the paint/powder coat finish and roughens the aluminium. This rough surface is great for keying in the new finish and bonding the filler.

post-3850-1259128067.jpg

Paint stripper or acid dipis other options. I did need to strip a few areas the blaster missed

Step Three

Filling. This is the important part. I used Devcon F Aluminium putty. Its an aluminium filled putty used to rebuild aluminium parts therefore near equal density helping with balancing. Most importantly its chemically stable and can withstand the powder coating temp. Unfortunatly its unbelievably expencive (.5kg=$210) Devcon titanium filler is a cheaper option but has a lower working temp. I was lucky and obtained a sample of Decon F for free through a workmate. The rep at ITW the Devcon distributor though the Titanium would be borderline on the temp but required a test first to see. This is $20 a tube and will do several sets of wheels.

post-3850-1259128659.jpg

Cleanliness is key so wire brush the wheel before with a stainless brush to remove oxide off the area to be worked on. It takes only a few hours to build oxide on fresh aluminium. File and sand carefully to shape

All cleaned and ready to powdercoat.

post-3850-1259128808.jpg

Step Four

Powdercoat and enjoy. Powdercoat prices vary but most places seem to be familiar with wheels so should present no challenge.

Rim edges looking like new

post-3850-1259129008.jpg

Phew!

Edited by MLM

Where did you get them powder coated and how much?

They came out awesome dude. Where do they sell that titanium filler?

Blackwood Paykels, It took them 4 weeks to get it in dispite having it on sale that week hence why i tracked down the Devcon F sample.

Titanium 5 epoxy

2500lbs psi compression strength

-50 to 98 degrees c working temp

waterproof

Non Flamable

Where did you get them powder coated and how much?

Rainbow Powdercoaters. Great guys with good service. Price was $280 for 4 wheels 4 centre rings and 4 centre nuts. Price also included a pre-bake to make sure any old paint stayed put. A bit more than i was hoping for but these guys offered the best service and info. Without the prebake it would have been about ~$180. Prces vary with wheel size and complexity.

Ok use a little imagination but here is time attack vs plain.

post-3850-1259634595.jpg

"On" the car.

Time attack style via insulation tape

post-3850-1259634670.jpg

Plain

post-3850-1259634688.jpg

Thoughts and opinions?

They look awesome but should definitely be time attack style and with a thin red line as Pjay said. Just out of interest how much do you think it has cost you all up including the cost of the rims?

Edited by zenetti

Excellent work, thanks for the write up.

Definitely time attack them!