Sign in to follow this  
SiK-E34

I need an engineer.

Hi guys as you may know I am putting an rb30 into my E34 bmw, Ive been quoted $1200 by kazspec motor sport up in hamilton to get the motor and gearbox mounted into the car, extra $400-$500 to get the tailshaft done.

I think its a little to pricey for my liking and I have herd that kazspec motor sport dont have the best reputation either.

Any ideas or options will be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Rob

Maybe its just me but I really think your jumping in the deep end before ya learn to swim and need to do more research before you even attempt this project. You have bigger issues with wiring and electrics than you will mounting the engine. Its all good and done having the engine in there, but wiring could be twice that price to get the car all up and running. RB30 I'd assume is going to cost you a good 5-6k at least just to get it running.

Edited by bmw3

1200 bucks is a bloody great deal considering it's all being done for you. Costs a lot to *do nothing yourself..

Edited by Incary

^ I agree.

If you find that too much, I think you will find the whole project more than you can handle. Especially money wise.

Hope you have deep pockets.

Wiring up wont be an issue, i have sparkies all around me in my fam, And ive owned many vl commodores in m life and know them back to front. so an RB30 is like a walk in the park for me, But I know i will run into walls etc.

I have herd bad things about kazspec thats all, But if he can do the job for me then i spose I can take his deal.

Am I missing something here, or does it seem like a bit of a waste of time/ money putting an RB30 into an E34? Why not just sell it and get a nice 540?

Will end up costing you atleast that if your doing everything properly and paying people to do alot of it for you?

Just my 2c

Bimmersport Maths:

Cost of RB26/30 performance parts vs Cost of 540 performance parts

+

Availablity of parts in NZ for above

-

Relative exchange rates to respective countries for said performance parts if not locally available (japan vs us/europe)

(potential performance gains / ease of installation) ^coolness

=

OP choice...

Wiring up wont be an issue, i have sparkies all around me in my fam, And ive owned many vl commodores in m life and know them back to front. so an RB30 is like a walk in the park for me, But I know i will run into walls etc.

I have herd bad things about kazspec thats all, But if he can do the job for me then i spose I can take his deal.

by the way wiring in a rb30 to a bmw engine loom may be abit much for normal sparkies its not just hooking wires together theres a reason auto electricians charge so much

also if your having every thing done keep in mind the list

motor mounting

diff replacment??? up to u

exhaust

fuel system

cooling upgrade

brake upgrades

body mods (tunnel for gearbox)

wiring nightmares

steering rack changes

then all the little things you may have to move i.e. braking system

remember you need to keep airbag system operational

etcetc

if your getting it done i think 6k is very conservative estimate

also 540 ftw

of 3.5 on boost

I don't think his E34 has airbags, which is a ++ for him.

Well for starters im only going to get the motor mounted into the car, aswell as get the tailshaft done, Ill do everything else locally, the diff will be fine, the tunnel should be fine considering the rb30 gearbox is smaller in diameter then the getrag, its only a little bit longer.

I have been thinking about selling it but i wont get my $1000 back on the car.

Also I think you guys should be helping and offering support rather then negativity towards my plans, I dont want a v8 in my E34, the old bmw v8s are to boring, if i wanted a v8 i would go for something like a 304ci holden motor or something.

RB30's are a dime a dozen and parts for them are everywhere, compared to the bmw engines and parts, they are rare and expensive.

RB30 being one of the worlds most reputable 6cyl motors are worth every option!

PS im looking for an engineer not a put down about my car plans.

Also I think you guys should be helping and offering support rather then negativity towards my plans, I dont want a v8 in my E34, the old bmw v8s are to boring, if i wanted a v8 i would go for something like a 304ci holden motor or something.

Exactly. Help the guy out with constructive advice, or keep it to yourself.

Good luck with your project. I think the comments on the price are spot-on - sounds cheap to me.

Exactly. Help the guy out with constructive advice, or keep it to yourself.

Good luck with your project. I think the comments on the price are spot-on - sounds cheap to me.

Thanks matey :) Its a possibility i could be turning to the dark side lol, Been offered a running E30 coupe all in running condition for a great price.

If the E30 is M20 powered, put the M20 in the E34, sell the E34.

Put RB30 into E30 :D

If the E30 is M20 powered, put the M20 in the E34, sell the E34.

Put RB30 into E30 :D

I was told the E30 M20's wont go in the E34????

I was told the E30 M20's wont go in the E34????

The m20b20 was used in the e34 form 1988 to 1990 then changed to the m50. But from my limited info i believe it had different mounts and sump so might not be a direct bolt in. Anyway if it is a good engine someone would probably pay $300+ for it, then sell the e34 and you might get your money back.

Seems you have not decided what you want to do yet. Good luck with the conversion which ever it is. :)

Well for starters im only going to get the motor mounted into the car, aswell as get the tailshaft done, Ill do everything else locally, the diff will be fine, the tunnel should be fine considering the rb30 gearbox is smaller in diameter then the getrag, its only a little bit longer.

I have been thinking about selling it but i wont get my $1000 back on the car.

RB30's are a dime a dozen and parts for them are everywhere, compared to the bmw engines and parts, they are rare and expensive.

RB30 being one of the worlds most reputable 6cyl motors are worth every option!

while some may be abit purist to the bmw engine i think one thing that is universal is nobady wants to see anyone drop a load of money into a project then be caught up by something and never finish it

dont take this as negativity but as fair warning from people who have seen others trip up before

remember you can never do to much research