Sign in to follow this  
jas81172

Valvoline Oil

i just purchased a 1988 320i e30 a year ago and would just like to know if anybody here using valvoline synthetic 5w40 as the engine oil for the car. i'm planning to try using it for my next oil change. it is pretty much available and cheaper than the other brands but would like to know it is worth a try?tks.

Valvoline has a good reputation, but I'm not sure if 5W is a bit low for an older car. Others may wish to coment. I use a 15W40.

I agree with Bravo, does seem far to thin for a 20/25 year old car. I use 15w40 also.

Valvoline has a good reputation, but I'm not sure if 5W is a bit low for an older car. Others may wish to coment. I use a 15W40.

+1 or a 10w40 semi synthetic, but no thinner than that on the older motors

+1 or a 10w40 semi synthetic, but no thinner than that on the older motors

tks for the quick reply guys. i'm currently using 15w40 but it seems the engine temp is a bit on the high end although it's just at the middle. i don't really know if that is normal for a bmw? searched on some threads and read that some uses 5w40 and it seems the engine runs a bit cooler but i don't really have any technical knowledge on it.

Temp sits about half, a little less maybe, in all the BMWs we've got, use magnatec in them all. got a E30, E36 and E39, so i'd guess its normal for it to be 1/2 way on the gauge

tks for the quick reply guys. i'm currently using 15w40 but it seems the engine temp is a bit on the high end although it's just at the middle. i don't really know if that is normal for a bmw? searched on some threads and read that some uses 5w40 and it seems the engine runs a bit cooler but i don't really have any technical knowledge on it.

Talking out his bum. You will not notice any temperature changes on an M20 by changing oil viscosity. And the factory temp gage is not something you can measure any changes from.

I run 10w40 Elf in my race car. But the motor is new and it gets changed out every couple of race meets. Ran 15w40 in my old 325i. (Forests Car).

It is also a good idea to stick to one viscosity rather than changing every oil change.

I've got Valvoline Racing 50 in the 205 at the moment as it was a good deal, but i'll be shifting to Motul Crono V300 for the next round of oil changes...

Temp sits about half, a little less maybe, in all the BMWs we've got, use magnatec in them all. got a E30, E36 and E39, so i'd guess its normal for it to be 1/2 way on the gauge

planning to use fuchs titan 10w40 the oil i was using prior to castrol 15w40 but fuchs is not that readily available and is quite expensive so my cheaper alternative would be valvoline synthetic blend 10w40 if the 5w40 is too thin for my car. do any of you guys have experienced with a vortex turbine in the air filter line going to the throttle body for a bit of increase in horse power?is it really working as what the others claim?

do any of you guys have experienced with a vortex turbine in the air filter line going to the throttle body for a bit of increase in horse power?is it really working as what the others claim?

Would make negligible gains if any. The theory behind them is fairly sound, but in practice, they make next to no difference. Despite what some will say, the intake path for m20's is fairly efficient based on some comparative dyno testing at Hi Velocity.

Would make negligible gains if any. The theory behind them is fairly sound, but in practice, they make next to no difference. Despite what some will say, the intake path for m20's is fairly efficient based on some comparative dyno testing at Hi Velocity.

tks for the input bro...