Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Good idea or not, Footwell lights.

I had some Clear side markers turn up today that Brent sent me down and now have my old orange ones that i was thinking of using as footwell lights. If i put a low wattage bulb in them and inset them into the top of the kick panel at the rear it should give off a nice soft orange glow when opening the door etc. What do ya think ya or nay ??.

Edited by M-Spec

do it, as well as a write up...

im looking at doing this mod as well

do it, as well as a write up...

im looking at doing this mod as well

Yup have decided i am going to go ahead and do this mod some time over the next couple of weeks, I have found the perfect place to mount them :D

It's the best idea, I want to do it aswell.

Someone on here has done it before in his E30 touring using E36 bits.

some late model e36 have factory floor lights i just pulled apart a 97 nz new 328i motorsport and it hade them

post-279-1259657970.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Yup you are right Brent, I think its from about 97 onwards, Mine is may of 96 and it does not have them, Wonder if its an option you can add when buying maybe. ??. Anyway poor old me will have to do his own.

Oh and off topic, Brent i have soldered in a new resistor in that Air con unit for you and tested it and its all go will post it back to you today :D

Edited by M-Spec

My old 98 320i had them, 96 323i doesn't.Personally to me theres no real advantage of having them but each to there own etc

Ambiance. Thats the advantage, they give a nice warm feel to the car.

Hook it up to a fader unit if you can.

Ambiance. Thats the advantage, they give a nice warm feel to the car.

Hook it up to a fader unit if you can.

Mine will be going of the interior light circuit, so they come on when you enter the car and fade off when the door is shut etc.

Yep, great addition. My '99 had them from factory.

As Graham said, they're just for ambiance. But having the footwell lights completes the look when opening the doors or unlocking the car. The whole interior will light up. Personally I don't know what using the orange lensed indicator would look like, I'm trying to get away from the yellow/orange with white bulbs but will be interesting to see how it comes out!

Keep us updated.

Yep, great addition. My '99 had them from factory.

As Graham said, they're just for ambiance. But having the footwell lights completes the look when opening the doors or unlocking the car. The whole interior will light up. Personally I don't know what using the orange lensed indicator would look like, I'm trying to get away from the yellow/orange with white bulbs but will be interesting to see how it comes out!

Keep us updated.

They will hardly be noticeable when installed i hope, I thought since i had the indicators spare i might was well use them to create the orange glow. If need be i can paint the lens more of an orange colour to match the rest of the ambiance of the orange colour.

Edited by M-Spec

Update : I went ahead and did the passengers side today and i was more than happy with the end result. The hardest part i found was trying to find the correct wires to tap into. While breaking my back laying upside down with my head down in the foot well i finally found them. There are 3 brown/red wires which are bridged together you can see them here in this pic. (what a mission to try and take this photo lol).

Posted Image

I tapped into these wires and then grounded things off to a solid brown wire that was bolted to the side.

I mounted the indicator between the air vent holes in the kick panel which i thought was the best place to project light and you cannot see it at all.

Posted Image

I also ran a wire across into the drivers side and will mount that up tomorrow if i have time. Now the passengers side lights up in conjunction with the interior lights, I.e come on when door is opened and fades after door is shut. Also comes on when you turn the dome light on. The indicator casts a nice orange glow into the foot well so all in all it came out really well.

Awesome, Get some pics of it working at night :D , would love to see how well they work!