Sign in to follow this  
E30AFFIAR

simple lowering for my e30

Getting to the final steps of my car now, looking at getting some wheels this weekend but ive put in h&r lowering springs but doesnt seem to be that low in the back does anyone know of any shorter stiffer stroke shocks to use. i know compressing the springs is always an option and find some shorter shocks but am i able to just put shorter shocks in with the lowering springs to make it lower? any other advice cause im getting some 15x8 with a 15 offset and would like to get them tucked under the gaurds.

Cheers, Max

The shocks dont control the hieght of the car the springs do. Take the rubber spring pads out from under the rear springs to get about 10mm lower

Hey mate. Shocks dont decide how low your car is, its the springs. You can take the shocks right out and itll sit almost exactly the same.

A few questions about getting your wheels tucked..

1. Is your car facelift or prefacelift?

2. Do you want the rim tucked, or just the tyre.

The reason I ask is because the rear arches are different between the facelift and prefacelift models, the prefacelift has higher arches.

If you want to tuck rim on 15s you will have to be incredibly low, but if you only want to tuck tyre it wont be so bad.

One more thing to consider, with that size wheel combined with the rather low offset youll need to roll the guards to avoid scrubbing.

Edit: heres a pic of a prefacelift E30 that is INCREDIBLY slammed!! Look underneath it and check out how low it is. (Note, still not tucking rim) Posted Image

Edited by SIR E30

Choice that they took a photo of it on what looks to be quite a bumpy road. Would be handy for mixing up paint.

i have a pre facelift and just wanting to put the tyre away the wheels are 8 inch with a 15 offset so will have to go for a 195/50 i think

^ I have 15 x 8 ET 15 on a 205/55 on superlows and they don't rub on my PFL, so you should be fine with 50's

Edited by Forrest

the fact that your car is pfl works in your favour here. you would definately need to roll otherwise

^ I have 15 x 8 ET 15 on a 205/55 on superlows and they don't rub on my PFL, so you should be fine with 50's

Your car has king spring superlows doesnt it? There about normal height for "low's" as theyre about a 40mm drop

^Nah they are Eibach springs 60mm front, 40mm rear, the same length as King Spring super lows (can confirm for the rear, not the front though) but Jamex Super lows are the lowest common 'superlow rated' E30 spring IIRC?

I do have the inner lips of my rear guards rolled though for safe keeping.

Edited by Forrest

I am still wondering about this, the pic below shows the height of my car but now wanting to get it a tad lower, i have h&r rear springs and front touring cobra springs, i just want to get it lower and a tad stiffer can anyone recommend a set of springs and shocks that would do this? cheers

Posted Image

Hey mate. Shocks dont decide how low your car is, its the springs. You can take the shocks right out and itll sit almost exactly the same.

A few questions about getting your wheels tucked..

1. Is your car facelift or prefacelift?

2. Do you want the rim tucked, or just the tyre.

The reason I ask is because the rear arches are different between the facelift and prefacelift models, the prefacelift has higher arches.

If you want to tuck rim on 15s you will have to be incredibly low, but if you only want to tuck tyre it wont be so bad.

One more thing to consider, with that size wheel combined with the rather low offset youll need to roll the guards to avoid scrubbing.

Edit: heres a pic of a prefacelift E30 that is INCREDIBLY slammed!! Look underneath it and check out how low it is. (Note, still not tucking rim) Posted Image

I WANT that look, it is soooooo hot.

Ohh and take the roof racks off it will make it look much lower, i have some 70mm drop springs that will make your car under 100mm so no wof, but if you want to take the risk then i have some for sale, or get a fl as the rear guards are much lower, i just put race series kings into my e30 fl on 14" rims and it tucks tyre in the back with an empty gas tank

Edited by sydwayz e30

Koni Super low front + rear springs with Bilstein/Koni shocks. That is essentially what I run on my car in the other post near the start of yout new member introduction thread. To get it stiffer, replacing all your rubber suspension bushes with urethane versions will make more of an improvement IMO. Take out your rear spring pads if you do put different springs in, will let the rear sit about 10mm lower.

Edited by Forrest

I took my pads out of the rear, didnt notice any difference - but if its no more than 10mm, that may explain why, who would notice that much.

Also, I thought it was dodgy & NOT recommended to compress springs?

I took my pads out of the rear, didnt notice any difference - but if its no more than 10mm, that may explain why, who would notice that much.

Also, I thought it was dodgy & NOT recommended to compress springs?

its only dodgy if it is not done right. if you compress a spring too far then it will not be stiff enough to stop you bottoming out. if some backyard engineer does it it can get heat spots, get brittle and not be tempered correctly.

NZ springs do it properly, they have the right gear for it, i mean they make springs.... they make sure its heated correctly and retempered to correct springyness.

If you get some lowering springs and you compress them a further 10-20mm then its perfectly fine.