Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Why is it a 5 minute job is never a 5 minute job.

Why is it a 5 minute job is never a 5 minute job or perhaps murphys law takes over at this point, Today my front clears turned up so i thought right a 5 min job to put them in, One side out and replaced about 2 mins, Other side out in about 30 secs look down and i notice my outside temp sensor laying on the pan of my front spoiler setup, Hmmmm i think its ment to be sitting inside the brake air duct, No way i could reach down (not enough room) to plug it back into the duct, So out come the front light and clip the sensor back in where it was supposed to be.

I like things being in there proper place.

Anyway light back in but now it all out of allign so clear the wall on the garage so i could align things back up, Get all that done then its another 30secs to put the new clear in. Job done in 1 1/2 hours for what should have been 5 minutes go figure.

Happens everyday... whats new... we're working on class... it always turns ass up or pear shaped

It’s your car punishing you for only replacing the fronts and not the whole shebam at once.

It is always the way though, every time a tackle a job it’s the simplest part of the job that turns into a nightmare.

Example. I was changing water pump/cam belt etc, though hey while im here I’ll do the oil change, ended up taking over an hour to get my oil filter off, what was meant to be the easiest job of the day, couldn’t get enough clearance to screw it off buy hand so I whacked it with a screwdriver and it pushed hard against my extractors…. Had to remove the Air-conditioning pump to get in there.

So, as Glenn told me, if you have aftermarket extractors on your M20 run a M10 short filter instead.

Did bumper lights on my e30-like you 5 min job no worries-yeah right.

Cant be removed from the front-had been fitted from the rear so had to take the bumper off blah blah blah.

About 90 mins & some tui's to complete-mind you I think the tui's slowed it down a bit.

How about replacing your front shocks...supposed to take 1 day. Oh what do you know. Have to compress the springs back on, which means costing more money to hire them, and pissing around...

I envy e30 owners because of this!

How about replacing your front shocks...supposed to take 1 day. Oh what do you know. Have to compress the springs back on, which means costing more money to hire them, and pissing around...

I can do 6 sets of front shocks in a day :P

Starting about my Brand new engine was supposed to be a 1 day job and took me 2 months hah :lol:

I got a pair of spring compressers from Repco for $40.

And the rears? I don't think so!

Would take 5 hours in the Touring!

the best is when a 5 min job turns into a 3 week job as you suddenly go, while i'm at it i might as well do....

And the rears? I don't think so!

Of course not for the rears, but I only said the fronts :D

the best is when a 5 min job turns into a 3 week job as you suddenly go, while i'm at it i might as well do....

Or when you give the part you are attempting to remove a little too much english (after missing the simple locking tab), and end up tearing something expensive off (like 5 times the price of whatever you are doing) and 10x more diifficult to get at. Not to mention the knuckles of 3 fingers on your left hand bleeding, the scratch in the duco and the immobile car that you need first thing in the morning for something important.

It's karma paying you back for something. Have you not seen "My Name is Earl"?

Did bumper lights on my e30-like you 5 min job no worries-yeah right.

Cant be removed from the front-had been fitted from the rear so had to take the bumper off blah blah blah.

About 90 mins & some tui's to complete-mind you I think the tui's slowed it down a bit.

how come you didnt just swap lenses and bulbs over like i did?? (only because i did not have the right tool to take the bumper off lol)

You'd think taking the jap plate holder off the boot would take 2 minutes

yea mine took over 2 hours because the left screw had threaded and I don't have any power tools

You'd think taking the jap plate holder off the boot would take 2 minutes

yea mine took over 2 hours because the left screw had threaded and I don't have any power tools

what'd you do? nibble the screw head off with your teeth?

lol nah but probably would've been quicker that way

since I had got the right side screw out, I was able to leverage one side of the plate holder

pulling it out a bit on the right gave the screw on the left just enough grip to eventually get it out ... which still took a long time