Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Rear Axle (picture)

Might be the wrong forum but..:

Swapping my 4.45 Open diff for a 3.76 (?.. around that anyways) LSD. Ive never touched the diff and axels before so previous owners mechanic or themselves did this. the other picture shows the untouched one

post-1129-1260798658.jpg

post-1129-1260798678.jpg

Am i going to have to replace this or will it be fine? the car has driven for the last 2 years since ive had it + god knows how long and doesnt seem to act strange..

edit: btw there is a diff leak on both sides, but more so on the side the buggered axle is on but ithink thats coincedence

Edit: Please resize your photos to 800 X 600 I'll leave them here till the morning... or they are gone :D

Edited by *Glenn*

It's only really a dust cover and to keep the grease in the CV joint. So long as it doesn't lose grease it will be alright. Looks like your one is all just smashed up? Against the diff it is pretty much fine..

Leaking diff side seals are common on an older car. I also agree with John... a butcher has been bashing the end of the axle to get it into the outer hub flange

so just leave it you reckon? it doesnt leak or anything. yeah i put new seals on the LSD, was going to buy some for the 4.45 but then the LSD came up at the yard so i grabbed it. good save :)

Glen: outer hub flange = hub on the trailing arm? also i couldnt find the attach photo button so i uploaded them to photobucket and did it that way. how do i make them smaller? is that on your end or photobuckets end? thanks

Edited by ethrty320

I've done it for you. Resize to 800 X 600. Convert your file to Jpeg... dont use Raw setting or NEF files when you save them, then you can upload them. The forum server doesn't allow you to upload NEF files.

Well i left it and put the car back together, and ive just taken the diff out of the 316i, and the rear axles in that are identical! the left side pushed in sorta and the right the rounded dome! i wonder if they are ment to be like one of those OEM and then aftermarket ones the other! thought id throw this find up incase someone else has the same find

No they are not meant to be like that.... there's more than one idiot out there