Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Import rules from UK

Hello,

I am sure a few of you have researched this and no the simple answer, so i'll pick your brains if I could?

What are the rules regarding importing a (more than 20 years old) e30 from the UK?

Does it make a difference if you are 'returning' to NZ?

Thanks in advance.

(pic not related)

post-128-1260905467.jpg

All e30's over there are going to be full of rust dude. Unless it was something really really special I wouldnt bother.

also, I think any car that's imported (to here) has to comply with frontal impact standards. which no E30's comply with anyway.

E30 M3's can be under SIV since they are an M3.

X2. Same as cars from America or Japan.

What are the rules regarding importing a (more than 20 years old) e30 from the UK?

Does it make a difference if you are 'returning' to NZ?

The 20 years old is based on the date of first registration of the car, not build date, so watch out for that one. It is also the date it arrives in NZ that counts, you can't even hold on to it here for a bit and then say it's 20 years old. Any early E30s will be Ok now.

In terms of the returning to NZ bit the big difference is that you can say it is your own personal vehicle, sign a disclaimer saying it's for your personal use, and pay no import duties or GST on the car which can make a big difference dollars wise. If you sell the vehicle within 2 years then you have to pay Customs and Excise the duties at that point. Check out the info on the LTNZ website, it's pretty useful and comprehensive.

So funny that every time the UK is mentioned someone has to chip in about rust, not every E30 in the UK is a rust bucket, some people do have garages and look after their cars in the UK you know, just something to look out for, as you would on any E30 even NZ new! There is loads more choice of cars, at very attractive prices, just take your time to find the right one.

Most shipping companies let you fill the car with stuff as well, so you can cram spares or other person items in to save freight costs. From personal experience I wouldn't put anything too small and valuable in there though as it may well get "lost" on the way.

Shot.

That's pretty much what I wanted to know.

Rust; there are still 'heaps' more OK ones here. You know what rust real bad here, those little convertible (nissans?) that look like the are old/retro, but were built in the 2000s. I have seen a few with the bottom of the doors missing.

I'm in London.

I watch TM for a facelift 325i e30 coupe. Very hard to find.

So funny that every time the UK is mentioned someone has to chip in about rust, not every E30 in the UK is a rust bucket, some people do have garages and look after their cars in the UK you know, just something to look out for, as you would on any E30 even NZ new! There is loads more choice of cars, at very attractive prices, just take your time to find the right one.

Maybe it needs to be put simply that you have to be very, very careful about rust.

I've done stuff to 3 cars that were ex-UK. All 3 way rustier than equivalent NZ cars.

I watch TM for a facelift 325i e30 coupe. Very hard to find.

eBay has a few E30s on it, but not many. The best site I have found for these sort of cars is the classifieds on www.pistonheads.co.uk usually has 20+ E30 M3s and 100+ E30s of all other shapes and sizes.

My friend imported from JPN, i remember it cost him about $2k for shipping and MAF.

Would this be a fair allowance to ship form UK?

I am sure a few of you have either done this or looked very deep into this.

Assuming you dont get burnt by rust, it seems like a win to do this?

Car $5000

+ shipping / MAf $2,000

= $7-8k???

I agree there is a rust risk here, but I tell you what, in my opinion the cars get a much easier life here. Yes they get little 'dings' and scratches, but there are no NZ bimmerheads ringing the sht out of these cars. A lot of people would only drive their car on the weekend, so low kms can be real.

Thanks for your help, have a pic of my 1 series...

post-128-1260950874.jpg

I am importing 20ft containers out of EU every 2 months basis and the usual price is around 2800 Euros for the transport component. For a car, you will need to add about $NZ600 for port charges and probably $1000 for compliance etc plus GST on the purchase price of the car.

Shipping out of JPN is cheaper as they use a Roll on Roll off ferry so is around $1800 +- .

To those reading this and thinking about importing parts or shipping home some gear but can't fill a container, try Mainfreight International as I use them a lot getting the old pallet out of China, France or UK. You will be surprised how cost effective it is and how well organised Mainfreight are.

Hope this helps ...

Mainfreight got my M20B25 down from wellington in 3 days :D their quoted time on the site was 5-7 days.

There are UK to NZ RORO (roll on roll off) ferries operating. Last price I got was around 1600GBP ($3600 at todays rate).

As Ron said you'll have to add port charges, optional insurance @ 2% of value, compliance and GST @ 12.5%.

a $5000 UK E30 will have cost over $10k to put on your driveway, that's assuming no major compliance hiccups.