Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Help Needed for Tyre Selection

Hi All

I need help choosing decent tyres for my Project Car

But the problem is I can't seem to find a performance tyre in this size 215/65/15 

after a search around all i can come up with is passenger car / van / commercial tyres and nothing to suit a decently powered 3.0 Turbo with modified engine/suspension and brakes

this is the OEM size for a 15x6.5 rim on this car, anything lower profile than a 60 would look totally ridiculous with wheel gap ( already has tons of that )

I just want a decent safe tyre that grips ok ..... or....... if you can find me a road legal semi slick in a similar size i would consider this as a solution to not needing 2 sets of wheels.

( car is for sunday driving & track days . and yes i have had semis on the road car before and understand the diffierences to a road tyre )

help much appreciated.

Edit: *in NZ tire means wearing out, tyres mean car shoes

I've found some of those smaller sizes are hard to find in any sort of decent width and profile (think MR2 with 14" rims, and a 215 tyre).

Toyo seems to have a couple that are OK.

Toyo do a 225/50 but that would come up 25mm short.

225/50VR15 gives 230mm width and 115mm side wall.

215/65VR15 gives 223mm width and 139.75mm side wall

Maybe it needs a drastic lowering.

Unfortunately that factory size lends itself now to MPVs and family minivans so you are unlikely to find anything performance oriented.

If you went to a 225/60/15 Toyo do a Teo + which will probably be one of the better tyres around, however I wouldn't really call it a performance tyre either.

You are probably best to look at going to a 17" wheel so that you can get yourself a performance. We have 17x9's in stock that should fit the bill nicely ;)

That size/ profile was always for slush mobiles like poverty pack Holdens and Falcons in the 80's and then MPV's when they became fashionable in the 90's

60 profile tyres were considered performance in the late 70's perhaps you should just bite it and go up a size or two in wheel diameter to get a better choice ??

Do I hear an echo? :P

Hmm

Perhaps the factory wheels will get some semi slicks in 50 profiles and I will get some 16x9's for it