Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Different Oil grades during summer/Winter - Auckland.

So Im currently using Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 in my M50B25 325i, was doing some reading and it got me thinking.

Is this oil okay during a Summer in Auckland, aren't the summer temperatures getting too hot for this oil grade?

From what I gather its ideal for the cooler winter temperatures, but is it okay during summer?

Any advice. (This has probably been covered in previous posts)

Intense much!?!?

Yes, the oils fine for any season. Can't see why it wouldn't be apart from the time it takes the engine to warm up.

Haha! I'm no oil expert mate. But it seems pretty logical, if there was really that much need to go to a different viscosity of oil between the hottest and coldest season's I would think we'd have heard about it more. I've never even heard of anyone doing that haha!

Cheers man, I saw your project thread and it looks a beauty already. One of my favourite E36's ever is in that colour, started from a base aswell. Got some big plans for it! Yea its got the genuine motorsport 17's, not staggered tho. Come up now and again but you have to be pretty fast.

Hah yeah, It seems 10w-40 is the most common used oil here. Apparently its what the BMW tech guys suggested to a friend of mine which works there when he asked them. So...

Cheers, Its a good car, I love the colour I have to admit.

Main objective is to get a 5 speed manual box from Brent and fit the full exhaust I have ready for it. Get it running right and go from there onto finding an LSD and rebuilding it.

I have quite quickly found the stock 5 speed auto is quite a joke, but I need to put up with its lame jerky changes for the next month. Sigh! Still... you just cant find a good manual E36 Coupe everday, hence why I have gone down this path.

Already liking it more than my E34, apart from the el-cheapo door and rear cards which I need to sort out. The rest of it is quite well made.

Edited by Mike-E34

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-259761340.htm

not quite the same but look good on e36's

and yes the old e36 325i go quite well . got good service from my last one .

92 325i coupe , coneverted it to 5spd soonish after gettingthe car going etc .

nice to drive , and yes have crap door cards etc .

didn't cost me anything in the 4 years and 50,000km i did in it .

i do have a nice black leather set

post-279-1261038127.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Haha! I'm no oil expert mate. But it seems pretty logical, if there was really that much need to go to a different viscosity of oil between the hottest and coldest season's I would think we'd have heard about it more. I've never even heard of anyone doing that haha!

After living in Germany I know first hand people change during seasons as some places have extreme temperature changes between winter and summer. My car nut friend swears by 5w30 synthetic in winter and 20w40 in summer. Makes sense given what the winter weights are about. In NZ we don't have the extreme temperature ranges so this isn't a problem. Given it very rarely goes below 0 in Wellington a 5w is pointless.

You only need to do this in countries that have severe climatic changes between winter & summer