Sign in to follow this  
keen

M535 1989 idle too high

I know that there are all sorts of reasons as to why the idle is high around 900rpm but there is something that I'm missing. the TPS is working OK I released the screws and I can hear it clicking and when the engine is running the engine speed increases and decreases but the decrease is only down to the 900rpm. I have listened and tried to look for air leaks but can hear none although I could have missed one if it was in a secluded place but nothing is obvious it idles static with no variation and returns to the 900 as it was supposed to.I adjusted the throttle stop to see if that made any difference but nothing there.Any thing else that I can look at would be a great help

jammed or sticky idle control valve ICV .

good one thanks Brent I'll take it off and check it. also can you tell me how to adjust the lights on this car and does have a motorized adjustment to lift them up and down ?is that the knob below the dash panel?

good one thanks Brent I'll take it off and check it. also can you tell me how to adjust the lights on this car and does have a motorized adjustment to lift them up and down ?is that the knob below the dash panel?

no not knob below dash panel.thats has something to do with radio or stereo but it doesnt seem to do anything on my car which has stock stereo.pretty sure that it is the dial adjacent to the light switch.I think the one adjacent to the fog light switch is the instrument light brightness.

Have had the ICV out and cleaned it seems free enough and there is continuity on the terminals but still it revs around the 900 mark any other ideas for me to look at?

Is your temp sensor nice and happy? I would be checking that, have had it go on a few cars and idle is always high that way.

It runs in the normal range inside the car.What problems did you have to indicate that it was playing up apart from the fast idle?

I've had a few idle higher because the wires and/or temp sensor is slightly faulty giving a bit of a crap reading on the good ol' multimeter. No other signs really apart from running too rich.