Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

metric tyre question

Does anyone know where to source metric tyres from and roughly how much they are? orrr if theres a way you can get around having to use metrics on a metric rim?

Sorry mate there's no way 'round it. You have to use metric tyres on metric rims.

If you can find an outlet that stocks them they will cost you between $500 - $800 per tyre.

A guy on the BMW Car club website had some brand new TRX's for sale at $120 each. Worth a shot.

Easiest way is to just buy some imperial wheels with tyres... much cheaper. Metrics aren't known for outstanding performance either.

Sorry mate there's no way 'round it. You have to use metric tyres on metric rims.

If you can find an outlet that stocks them they will cost you between $500 - $800 per tyre.

haha whoops. bad mistake. might just have to be show rims then :( with bald tyres.

what about re-treads???

nope, M6 635CSI 3 piece's :P

those are e34 m5 wheels with the turbine covers. also come with throwing star cover options like on my e28

those are e34 m5 wheels with the turbine covers. also come with throwing star cover options like on my e28

They look sweet w/out any covers - If you have turbines, ditch those hubcaps hah

So Brent, those are the same wheels with both the throwing stars and the turbine covers? The covers are interchangeable?

Hi mate,

I have found sourcing metric tyres frustrating for E24's in the past. At one stage the story I heard was that Michelin were doing a batch once a year and as a consequence they were scarce and expensive. I recall being quoted $800 a corner 6-7 years ago.

As mentioned, there is a guy selling them for $120 / tyre on the NZ BMW car club website. That is a bargain.

Something to be aware of, I once bought some that had obviously been sitting around for awhile and they were hard and made alot of noise.

Some people say they are a bit suss in the wet, but I have always found them ok (and to be fair I am a sad arse who doesn't drive my bmw's in the rain).

If you want to make your vehicle completely original, I guess you will need them.

yes they the tyres are all getting pretty old now , they start off with about 12mm of tread so they last forever but cost a fortune to buy and have a very old tyre tread and rubber compound so pretty leathal in the wet.

i wouldn't touch them unless you like danger.

but on a positive note thye did make a couple of nice designs for the wheels , and they can be got in 390mm or 415mm , go for the 415mm like they used on early e34 535i and some 540i etc not a bad looking bbs rim , also if you can find any the dunlop or avon metric tyres have better rubber/grip newer design etc

check with marty(bm weapon ) he might have a set of metrics with tyres