Sign in to follow this  
flake

RE: e30 crosshairs

i saw kerrys post about doing the crosshairs on the highbeams and figured seens i'm waiting for m50 parts i'll waste time and play around with something.

no real secret on how to do them, i just followed the 'how to' write up at http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread...ighlight=smoked which was already stated on a previous post on here. for some reason my laptop doesn't like .pdf files and i couldn't manage to download the crosshair template. a bit of trial and error when i was making them just going off the pictures <_<. got there in the end and i'm pleased with the result, heres a quick step by step on what i did roughly.

post-4454-1261892776.jpg

removed light from assembly and put in oven (thanks mum for showing me how to use the oven). i left it for about 5mins at 210* on fan bake and it came out smelling like pizza. remember to wear oven mits.

post-4454-1261893097.jpg

marked and cut out homemade patterns onto 22gauge sheet metal that was laying around the workshop, then painted black with high temp engine enamel. probably overkill

post-4454-1261893322.jpg

dryfitted to mark slots needed in reflector to hold tabs in. i drilled a series of holes for each slot. fit templates and fold over tabs to lock in place. run a bead of sealant around (obviously clean off the old stuff first) and sit the glass lens back in the same position so it all lines up. put a weight on it until sealant goes off.

post-4454-1261894083.jpg

hey presto, your done. took me the better part of 2hours. looks good from a distance and at certain angles, but upclose you can see mine aren't perfect. but it was good fun making them and they give it a good look.

what are the rules on doing the lowbeams? i didn't do them cause i'm a little cautious on what is acceptable. actually is this acceptable? hmmm guess i'll find out.

next step is to french style my foglights, just depends how they look and match the car. we had a go at doing nathans (forrest) highbeams, same theory as doing red tail lights, just only yellow.

one more thing. what are my options for modifing tail lights visually? just red or black? cheers

and thanks to kerry for giving me inspiration to do this from reading his post.

Edited by flake

Low beams, paint the reflector black.

What did you use to make the templates on.

Low beams, paint the reflector black.

What did you use to make the templates on.

i made the templates on galv sheet metal and cut out with tin snips. i'd be keen to get the proper template and remake them. mine are just home made jobbys going off the pics.

yeah knew how to do lowbeams i'm just unsure if its "legal". the highs probably aren't either, i just heard that they're a bit lenient with them. do you paint the park light reflector too?

Yeah. Paint the whole thing. The bulbs sit behind the reflector piece so the bulbs produce the light, not off the reflector. So you can paint the reflector in them without decreasing light output.

Yeah. Paint the whole thing. The bulbs sit behind the reflector piece so the bulbs produce the light, not off the reflector. So you can paint the reflector in them without decreasing light output.

guess that'll give me something to do tomorrow. need more paint though.

stupid question: could you paint the reflector any colour you like and it'll give the smoked effect in that colour?

might just stick to black to be safe-ish

Yeah you could actually. Pretty much looking at the relector surroung thing through the glass so you could paint it fluro green and be a winner. Lol.

wow. greatest idea ever. that'll be on par with fluro green strut braces. i've got nothing to do tomorrow so guess what i'll be doing!

Edited by flake

Yeah you could actually. Pretty much looking at the relector surroung thing through the glass so you could paint it fluro green and be a winner. Lol.

Quoted for trut 'creation of fluro green low beams.'

good on ya flake its a big difference aye

yeah definatly its a cool little mod to do. gives the car a complete different look. now to fit them back to the car...hmmm. any reason why you didn't do your lowbeams kerry?

Quoted for trut 'creation of fluro green low beams.'

fluro green low beams you reckon

post-4454-1261963083.jpg

what do you say? good or bad? it'd match the car if i had a fluro green hood

or....

post-4454-1261963159.jpg

frenchy?

note: when removing paint from reflector DONT use meths. not only will it remove the paint but it'll take off the original chrome reflection. turps works good. i found out the hard way <_<

Edited by flake

Fluro all the way son. With a fluro green time attack stripe on some black 15' weaves ;)

I have only done my low beams, I didn't have anything to make crosshairs out of for high beams. Im guessing Kerry never got around to it?

But lol you stole my fluro green low beam idea.

Yellow looks way wrong. <_<

Edited by e30ftw

i haven't stolen your idea...yet. i just gave it a go to see how it turned out and cleaned the paint off. quite like the yellows but not intirely sure how i'll get on with the local police and WOF inspectors, let alone fluro green. but yeah get on it mate before i do for real :lol:

Fluro all the way son. With a fluro green time attack stripe on some black 15' weaves ;)

added to the list. green time attack my 15'weaves!

i can hear flaming already

Cops & WOF people cant do anything about it. Its fully legal, so long as the lights still work then its fully legal. You can only NOT touch the lens or the bulb, anything else is fine.

yeah definatly its a cool little mod to do. gives the car a complete different look. now to fit them back to the car...hmmm. any reason why you didn't do your lowbeams kerry?

post-4454-1261963083.jpg

or....

post-4454-1261963159.jpg

frenchy?

note: when removing paint from reflector DONT use meths. not only will it remove the paint but it'll take off the original chrome reflection. turps works good. i found out the hard way <_<

post-4454-1261963083.jpg

or....

post-4454-1261963159.jpg

frenchy?

yea i havent got that far man i might just black my kidney and be done with it .

The green is way cool..wish i had thought of that, if i did it now id just be following the crowd haha .

the green would look awesome on a track car