Sign in to follow this  

Why you should account for every dropped nut

So, I had the throttle body off the 2002, which is kind of tricky as I use an E30 318 manifold with a 325 throttle body and dropped one the the nuts the hold it on.

Not surprising you're working blind on the tips of your fingers. After looking for it for about 15 minutes I gave up and assumed it was either hung up in the chassis or I'd kicked it across the garage under the other 2002.

Wrong! It was hiding in the air cleaner, so I go for a drive around the block - All good and set up to check the timing, I was just getting a spanner to tweak the dizzy and the mother of all banging noises starts.

The picture shows where I found the nut.!

post-235-1262137242.jpg

Edited by 2002

Ugh, Pulverised.

Is the damage repairable?

Bad luck dude :(

Ugh, Pulverised.

Is the damage repairable?

Bad luck dude :(

I believe so, I've gound away the damaged area on the head. Surprisingly little material had to be removed. The piston looks fine and the top ring rotates freely. (Score 1 to a JE forged piston).

I've bent the intake valve so I'll replace that and it's rocker plus the head gasket etc.

you didn't come out to bad and good to hear the pistons alright, wish i could say the same to my engine that dropped a valve :rolleyes:

post-3670-1262140965.jpg

Edited by Jamez

you didn't come out to bad and good to hear the pistons alright, wish i could say the same to my engine that dropped a valve :rolleyes:

Now that really sucks!

I love my telescoptic magnet for this reason

It has rescued a bolt from down a spark plug hole in a mates car ( thankfully we knew about it )

Dad as a story about my sister dropping a bolt down the guts of a Rover v8 when she was 3- he had to pull apart quite a lot to get to it.

Good luck reparing the damage, but my question is ..

If material was removed how much will this change the compression ratio ?

While the head is off would it not be a good idea to have it re surfaced anyway, forged pistons suggest a serious engine where the effort might count for something ..

Edited by Jimmy

If material was removed how much will this change the compression ratio ?

Not signficantly, the volume of the combustion chamber is around 55cc (estimated from cylinder volume and compression ratio).

So if I removed a whole cc of material the compression ratio would go from 10 to 9.93. I haven't measured how much material I removed yet, but it could only be a small fraction of a cc.

worst thing ive done is left the power bar on the crank pulley then went to start the car made a good dent in the floor

funniest thing ive seen someone do is install a new intercooler on their skyline a week later they were complaining of a lack of power so we pulled it out and found the rags used to stop nuts getting in it were still there blocking off half the cores

So, I had the throttle body off the 2002, which is kind of tricky as I use an E30 318 manifold with a 325 throttle body and dropped one the the nuts the hold it on.

I just bought one of these, only 12.00 with light

post-3075-1262992316.jpg

That's sweet. Where'd you get it?