Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Moving on

Best of luck Chris.

I <3 this car. Especially after having been in it. Is absolutely mint and performance is amazing.

Sex On Wheels.

FORD :wub: right here

That is cheap given the condition/work done/power/how rare it is.

Good luck with the sale, Im sure it will sell at that price

Not yet, but a couple of people have said this.. Why so?

Edit: forgot to sign into my account :P

Edited by 323e30

Guest Simon*

Ha! Tell Mike to hurry and send pics of my car!!

Well, to be blunt. Compare cost of owning, maintaining, towing/mooring, registering (and maintaining) trailer by a factor of REALISTICALLY how many days a year you will use said boat, VERSUS cost of hiring/chartering or even buying into shared use of one - and see how that stacks up.

A boat is essentially a toy - should a toy cost more than your daily or house deposit? Just playing devil's advocate mate

;)

True story. Truth is the boat is cheap.. Through a mate whos daily driver conked out and he needs money to get a new car. He recently spent around 3k on the motor, new paint, 2006 tandem trailer, new upholstery and stainless bits. Garman Fish finder etc.

Its damned mint and he wants 7k for it.

I'm not planning on getting another fast car.. and to be honest id probably use the boat more than i ever used the Cosworth.

It's no definite deal yet but i love being out on the water!

I know you have boating experience Chris, and some of the following might be telling Grandma to suck eggs, but for the benefit of all.....

Add all the safety and fishing gear into the equation. Buy a Coastguard membership. If you need their help and you're not a member it's $280 an hour from the time they leave till the time they get back (almost half the commercial towing rate - so that's cheap!). The average "easy" job is a couple of hours. Many are 4 hours plus, some are 8 hours plus.

Coastguard membership is $95 a year and you get unlimited free assistance, other freebies, and you can get a Coastguard Caltex fuel card with built-in discount on fuel. Plus you get a discount on Coastguard Boating Education courses (Day Skipper would be minimum, but I'd recommend you do Boatmaster instead if you don't have it already). Also legally you are supposed to have a VHF Marine Radio Operators Cert before operating a Marine VHF radio. The more people who get educated properly the better.

Don't skimp on the safety gear. We go to many incidents where "intelligent" people have gotten themselves into all sorts of deep sh*t save for a few hundred bucks worth of gear. A few hundred bucks on top of a $7k boat is cheap. Some of those people came back in grey zip-front bags.

If you want some advice on what to get PM me. It's fairly simple, but will save you heaps of grief.

A boat averages 10% of its value in maintenance a year plus fuel etc. So if $7k is cheap you want to budget more than 10% a year, plus maybe it's cheap because it needs some maintenance soon.

Every few years boats need major maintenance. So for 4 years you might only spend 5-6% on it, but then on the 5th year it'll cost you 30%+ More if the previous years were neglected. Where in this cycle is this boat? And I don't mean electronics, I mean hull, fittings, steering, motor, wiring, covers, trailer and so on.

I looked at buying a ski boat for about $50k, but didn't as $5k a year is a lot of fuel and beers for my mates who already have them, I use the family's launch whenever I want, and if I want to drive fast I go on a CG callout or do some on-water training.

post-339-1265925811.jpg

Guest Simon*

That's awesome advice Graham, and very revealing about costs/budgeting.

Chris, EVERYONE says they'll get out on the water XX much - in my experience nobody ever does ;) Take your optimum number of days and halve it.

Maybe buy a jet ski instead? And something to tow it with? Could be a more cost effective exercise/kill some of your said birds with one stone?

Edited by Forrest

Thanks Simon, oh and something else I've learnt - if you boat needs serious maintenance, think of a number for the cost of repair, and another number for the time it'll take, multiply both by 3 and you'll be close.

As some of you know we have a boat-repair yard on the family property. Whenever someone books the shed or the yard for their boat, Dad and I take bets on how long they'll actually be there for. 3 times as long every time. And 3 times as much.

Think he's more into fishing than speed Nath ;)

I've seen people fish off jetskis before :P

Guest Simon*

I've seen people fish off jetskis before :P

Yeah and I've seen people at trackdays in non-Vtec Prelude automatics. Doesn't make it right! :D

I've seen some massive snapper caught from jetskis (or PWC's aka Personal Water Craft - jetski is a brand name).