Sign in to follow this  
antony

iPhones?

Hey, I'm about to purchase a new phone and I was wondering are iPhones really worth it?

Say over a phone like this for half the price?

Apps? GPS? Operating System?

Thanks

Antony.

Depends on what you're using it for. You can get GPS applications on it for like 10 bucks. Photo quality aint that great, even with the 3Gs version. Its a really cool phone overall, but dont expect to blind text or blind dial, because there isnt any buttons to feel.

I got a Samsung touch screen phone and believe me its a pain in the arse because its made for people with skinny fingers. I keep hitting the other "buttons" and have to change back to text again, has "buttons" for language caps symbols etc. Real pain when you are in a hurry.

Have you looked at the Nexus One that has been released by Google ? Might be an option to have the "latest" with a 5mB camera but not over priced. Couple in Akl already and they are runnning OK on VFNZ

Guest Simon*

lol that's true ^^

For sheer gadgetry and gimmicks they are unsurpassed. Apps comin' out the wazoo

Have had both a Nokia N97 (lasted a month) and iPhone 3G (lasted a fortnight) in 2009. Both sold now, but I really didn't find the iPhone a smartphone as such...more like a entertainment phone?

It's OS was very slick and everything looked polished, I liked the multi-touch, etc, etc. But GPS was pathetic, it coudn't handle Microsoft Office or Adobe documents properly, the battery lasted about half a day with calls/texts/WiFi/push, didn't have flash support in it's browser, and there was no multitasking!

The N97 wasn't as slick, not even close. But it came with both touch screen and physical qwerty keyboard, Microsoft Office, supported full flash and adobe in it's browser, fantastic GPS, and the battery lasted at least a day or two.

Both phones didn't last long because they both felt like they really needed to be taken care of. I don't like having to have a screen protector, or case for my phones.

Am currently using my old Nokia e61i which does everything, and has fallen out my car @ 50kph, off my 2nd storey deck, and I don't feel bad using it when my hands are full of oil and swarf.

Depending on what you're after - I think an iPhone is only good if you need a phone with great entertainment capacity. If you need a phone + internet tablet capability, try the Nokia N900, or if it's a bread and butter, indestructible smart phone you're after - my current pick would be the Nokia e72, or assorted Blackberries.

They have terrible coverage according to my old employer (VFNZ dealer)

Get the Nokia 5800 ;)

VF dealers has a habit of bagging the new XT network.5800 has it's own problems too. I have switched from Voda to Telecom with iPhone 3Gs, in day to day usage, XT is better than Voda in service quality (voice quality and data speed).

About the phone, I had the W701 before which is a scaled down model of the 995. Compare the Sony Ericsson to my iPhone, finding The iPhone indispensable. I get email done, keep up with news and all. Finding a right app can be a bit of hit and miss just because there are so many out there.

I didn't expect much from the camera and I have a decent camera anyway. But it's better than many other cellphone camera. The great screen certainly helps. Sync with PC is straight forward, sync with Mac is even easier. Decent bettery life (2-3 days for me).

iPhone = win

we are together for life.

VF dealers has a habit of bagging the new XT network.5800 has it's own problems too. I have switched from Voda to Telecom with iPhone 3Gs, in day to day usage, XT is better than Voda in service quality (voice quality and data speed).

this is just one experience, but mum had nothing but problems with the XT network (she's in Raetihi - just to the left of Ohakune)

it quite often dropped phone calls and she often lost connection with the network

she went back to Vodafone and it's been mint as

I've had my iphone 3g for a year and a bit and i can safely say it's a very very average phone.

Cell Reception is rubbish - calls dropped every time i go over the bridge / through spaghetti junction. I was out at the beach with some other guys they had 2-3 bars of reception and the iphones (there where two there) had no service.

The camera is crap at 2mp and is not all that nice to use.

It's a very usable device if it's not lagging a lot. I found if you install more than a couple of pages of apps the whole phone grinds to a halt... It's really annoying.

The wi-fi functionality on my phone is also very slow.

You have to use itunes to do anything on the phone, which i personally really do not like.

My 2 biggest complaints with the phone is the lack of ringer volume, i can have it in my pocket and not hear the phone at all. You cannot make customised message tones, and the process to make your own ringtones is a pain in the butt! as you can't just use the mp3/music on the phone. You need to have special ringtone formated sound files - which you pay to download from itunes if you don't know the work around (creating new files, renaming extentions, copying back into itunes, uploading to phone, etc...).

Battery life is also crap. If you run bluetooth and wireless you battery will not last 9 hours. GPS will suck through a complete battery in 45min.

On the GPS side of things, the iphone (16gb for me) does NOT store the maps you have downloaded from google maps, so everytime you use the gps it downloads new maps even if you have looked at that area 100 times it's a fresh download each time - which you get charged for...

You also can not use it as a removable harddrive like you could with the old ipods, it makes it very annouying when you want to actually utlize the 16gb of storage you have on the phone.

I'd personally wait and see what the google phone is like...

The iphone in my mind is an average pda, average phone, good entertainment device. The touch screen and interface is great when it's not lagging.

this is just one experience, but mum had nothing but problems with the XT network (she's in Raetihi - just to the left of Ohakune)

it quite often dropped phone calls and she often lost connection with the network

she went back to Vodafone and it's been mint as

Just depends where you are, some networks have better coverage in one area than the another does.

On the GPS side of things, the iphone (16gb for me) does NOT store the maps you have downloaded from google maps, so everytime you use the gps it downloads new maps even if you have looked at that area 100 times it's a fresh download each time - which you get charged for...

Jesus, even my old nokia 6275i i have 700mb of maps stored (whole of new zealand road maps), which I downloaded with my pc and just transferred over.

Just depends where you are, some networks have better coverage in one area than the another does.

yea but according to those ads on tv, you should be able to get coverage on XT while in a shipping container in the middle of the ocean or on top of a mountain in the middle of no-where :)

mum used to be on the old Telecom network before switching to XT, and the old network was more reliable than the XT network in her area

Jesus, even my old nokia 6275i i have 700mb of maps stored (whole of new zealand road maps), which I downloaded with my pc and just transferred over.

Hahaha, I do this with my current 6275i

iPhone, is an extension of myself, its with me everywhere and use it for pretty much everything... I am dependent on it.. Get one

Do you guys have the file on your comp still?Would be keen, Also still rocking a 6275i

Dont have it on my comp, but I could get it off my phone and chuck it on CD I guess.

I just have new zealand road maps.

Start by getting http://www.mgmaps.com/

Also check out gmap track, its pretty cool :)

I have the W995a and its the tits.

Its still a phone at the end of the day, where as the iPhone is like wank wank wank look at my apps.

I have the W995a and its the tits.

Its still a phone at the end of the day, where as the iPhone is like wank wank wank look at my apps.

Hahaha, at a BBQ the other night and this dude pulls out his iphone "oi, you guys look over here at my new app I got for my iphone"

It was a stupid lighter app, that when you shake the phone the flame moves, shake it too hard and it goes out. BORING

Next app was a beer glass, and when you tip the phone the beer pours out, so he sticks up to his mouth and pretends to drink it. wanky as, tho he did get the synchronisation right, i wonder how long he spent in the mirror practicing it.

Yeah, thats how I see em. Don't get me wrong though, I'd totally own one! Just wouldn't pay that much for one.

Only real reason I have my W995a is because it's subsidised by work.

GPS is great on it. And the browser is good as. Only gripe I had with it on purchase was little buttons for my fat thumb - yes I still text. Battery life is awesome. I use it a bit - Like 5-7 calls a day with a shitload of text's/emails and charge every second day. The camera is phat as, 8.1MP and a decent wee editor, takes good videos too. 8Gig memory

The biggest problem as I see it with the iphone is the name. It suggests that it will be useful as a phone, yet as noted above, it has very poor coverage/strength. Example, at the bach my old Motorola V3X had 2-4 bars of coverage, iphone nil. Mine has also cut out of calls by turning itself off (under warranty, so it's going back).

The camera is 3mp, not 2mp and is actually pretty good. Record some video on it and playback is excellent, although sound quality is a bit scratchy.

Some of the apps are rubbish as mentioned previously, why would you bother?

It's still a neat looking toy though and for free, pretty good value.