Sign in to follow this  
antony

iPhones?

. The camera is phat as, 8.1MP and a decent wee editor, takes good videos too. 8Gig memory

damn that's better than my digital camera !!

Get an iPhone bud, it's has an unsurpassed mobile experience. There is nothing on the market that even comes close to be honest.

Things I hate about it:

- Battery (need to have charger at home, in the car and at work)

- Glass screen (don't drop it, it's not a Nokia)

- Weak ass external speakers

- Touch screen texting can be a tad annoying but you get used to it

Worst case, you don't like it for whatever reason and sell it for almost exactly what you payed for it... just look on trademe they go for STUPID money!

Personally, I got mine from the US for half of what it was worth here and just cracked it :P

Edited by crazyarab

The biggest problem as I see it with the iphone is the name. It suggests that it will be useful as a phone, yet as noted above, it has very poor coverage/strength. Example, at the bach my old Motorola V3X had 2-4 bars of coverage, iphone nil. Mine has also cut out of calls by turning itself off (under warranty, so it's going back).

The camera is 3mp, not 2mp and is actually pretty good. Record some video on it and playback is excellent, although sound quality is a bit scratchy.

Some of the apps are rubbish as mentioned previously, why would you bother?

The 3g phone doesn't record video. Maybe the 3gs does but defiantly not the 3g model... Hell we had to wait for a major system update to be able to copy and paste text, forward text messages, receive and sent pxts, so ya...

Jesus, even my old nokia 6275i i have 700mb of maps stored (whole of new zealand road maps), which I downloaded with my pc and just transferred over.

Tell me how to stop the mgmaps app from asking for permission to access the SD card every time it refreshes the map! (on Nokia 6275i) as I have done this too, but it drives me nuts having to hit OK 4 times every time the map refreshes.

Tell me how to stop the mgmaps app from asking for permission to access the SD card every time it refreshes the map! (on Nokia 6275i) as I have done this too, but it drives me nuts having to hit OK 4 times every time the map refreshes.

Download the signed version. You need to download it with your phone, not with your pc and then installing it.

Open this link with the browser on your phone http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-signed.jad and it will download and install it. Would pay to uninstall the old version first.

Edit: Another cool app is Symartic ExtGPS, you can use your phone as an external GPS module over bluetooth with your laptop with programs like GoogleEarth Pro and Microsoft Streets and Maps. But I guess thats only handy if you take your laptop everywhere like I do.

Edited by turboprop

I'm a phone app developer and have phones all over the place. I've got iPhones, a Google Android phone, Motorolas (somewhere) and the like.

I used to be a Nokia lover. Now all I see is a dying whale. You will buy one because that is what you are used to - its a habit which the world will kick. Their OS is outdated and just old school. Dead.

iPhone is easy to use, powerful, but has that wank factor for people who have stupid ass taste in apps. Generally the choice of apps on an iPhone is a reflection of the owner - not of the phone. Google's marketplace has the same idiot apps too - and the same useful apps. Battery life is average, reception is average (unless you are on XT - then it is great. I've got one iPhone on Vodafone and the other on XT. Android phone is on 2degrees)

Android phones are pretty kick ass - but they are more difficult to operate than the Nokias and iPhones. I'm running the HTC G3 Hero at the moment - awesome bit of kit. You just have to have a geeky mindset to get the most out of it. Much easier to get the same tasks done on the iPhone.

In the end - if you want a basic 1990s phone - get a Nokia.

If you want a phone with more - decide between the iPhone and Android. The rest are dead.

I used a HTC Diamond touch for the last few weeks, it was pretty cool. But I would rather not have a phone with a touch screen, makes it hard to talk on when my big cauliflower ears touch the screen while im talking and they are pressing buttons, and the screen turns into a smudgey piece of sh*t.

Oh and having to open a program to dial a number... its a phone for f**k sakes. Im used to just pressing the numbers on my keypad and dialing it.

Edited by turboprop

Guest Ari Gold

Why do you need a 8Megapixel camera on a phone, let alone a 12Megapixel camera? Are you really taking photos with a tripod with it?

Why do you need a 8Megapixel camera on a phone, let alone a 12Megapixel camera? Are you really taking photos with a tripod with it?

I even have different lens's for mine.... :P

$1500 isn't much as it replaces phone, camera and mp3 player all in one.

You can shoot a movie on the thing :ph34r:

$1500 isn't much as it replaces phone, camera and mp3 player all in one.

You can shoot a movie on the thing :ph34r:

$400 semi decent phone.

$300 average camera

$100 mp3 player

$800.

$1500 still seems expensive.

I guess im just not a high roller like ya'll.

Open this link with the browser on your phone http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-signed.jad and it will download and install it. Would pay to uninstall the old version first.

Sorry for hijack, but my phone won't install jads, only jars. Says invalid application. Any ideas?

The 3g phone doesn't record video. Maybe the 3gs does but defiantly not the 3g model... Hell we had to wait for a major system update to be able to copy and paste text, forward text messages, receive and sent pxts, so ya...

3GS has video, it plays back very clearly on the phone and on computer.

3GS has video, it plays back very clearly on the phone and on computer.

The 3G and even the old original can record video using an app called "Showtime" from Polar Bear Farm.

Sorry, been a long time since I installed it on mine.

Try this: http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps.jar

yeah that's what I have installed, but its not signed so have to allow access every time the map changes. gay. Option to always allow is greyed out.

yeah that's what I have installed, but its not signed so have to allow access every time the map changes. gay. Option to always allow is greyed out.

Weird.... I installed the signed version on my phone and it never asks me for access (same as you 6275i). But it was so long ago I cant remember which download I used.

Have alook thru here.... http://wap.mgmaps.com/14/index-all.html

I have the W995a and its the tits.

Its still a phone at the end of the day, where as the iPhone is like wank wank wank look at my apps.

So I decided to get this phone. Was $500 at Noel Leemings.

Stoked at the moment with it, has everything.

Thanks fo the input guys, think an iPhone will be my next phone.

Antony.

So I decided to get this phone. Was $500 at Noel Leemings.

Stoked at the moment with it, has everything.

Thanks fo the input guys, think an iPhone will be my next phone.

Antony.

Nahhh, iPhones are great!!! They never get boring =)

Nahhh, iPhones are great!!! They never get boring =)

The exact reason I didnt get one, I dont have enough time to use one to its full potential, lifes already interesting/busy enough :)

The exact reason I didnt get one, I dont have enough time to use one to its full potential, lifes already interesting/busy enough :)

Always that about it. I might have to sell mine.. I probably won't but if Im a grand short of my race car at some time I might.

But if you ever need a mobile phone iphone or not message me I can promise you I can get you the phone for probably at lesat 100 cheaper than vodafone or any store.

on my third iphone, not because i break them i just was lucky and had the chance to upgrade to each new one for cheap. love them to death. ive used many other phones and the wifi browser email multi touch is just 100x better than anything out there at the moment.