Sign in to follow this  
Shady

316i Manual fit a 318i Auto?

Just a striaght up question so just a straight up answer please?! Would a 316i Manual bolt up into a 318i Auto engine? If I got everything required, would it fit? If so, would it last long (eg, 1.8L is bigger than 1.6L so would it still handle it?)

Cheers

yes as long as they are both m40 or m10 engines like for like .

same box between 1.6 and 1.8 models.

So long as it's F/l to f/l or pre to pre you're fine, same box and setup, just can't mix f/l with pre and vice versa.

Damnation

Edited by Silver Fox

You looking at this kit Shady?

Edited by antil33t

Nope didnt see that. A guy on Trademe parting out a 316i Coupe. Will check with him if its F/L. So as long a it IS F/L it will bolt straight up, no worries?!

would it last long (eg, 1.8L is bigger than 1.6L so would it still handle it?)

Cheers

I dont think you are going to have any troubles there ;)

I dont think you are going to have any troubles there ;)

hahah. Well never know, an extra 200cc may be alot for these small 'boxs :lol:

what about leaving it auto, believe it or not experts say 'most people prefer autos nowadays', so may just boost the value of your car by leaving it auto :D<_<

Edited by bmw3

what about leaving it auto, believe it or not experts say 'most people prefer autos nowadays', so may just boost the value of your car by leaving it auto :D<_<

Hahah, not my age they dont. I dont see an older generation lady wanting to buy my E30 when it comes time to sell it :)

hahah. Well never know, an extra 200cc may be alot for these small 'boxs :lol:

I'm pretty sure they're the same box that some people are running boosted Strokers on :P Just a different bellhousing....

Another question.

How much would I be looking at, as a reasonable price (he said car has 130ks on it) for a complete kit (everything required) if its all pretty good condition etc. Whats the normal rate people would pay? Especially since its not a powerful engine. Just dont wanna get ripped off.

Also, is there a list somewhere with everything I need? - - make that 2 more questions :lol:

$650 is a pretty good price on a M40 conversion, very hard to buy these days. Doubt you'd find cheaper around. You dont have to buy the engine with, but I would have thought $900-$950 for both would be fair. That said, if you watch trademe you may find a whole car for a little bit more, that way you have everything to convert it.

Keep in mind you'll need a new clutch kit as well. The price varies depending on where you go, and if you get any deals. I got mine for $330+ Gst from BNT, and my flywheel skimmed for $30.

All the little bits add up. Look at the condition of the master and slave cylinders, and see if they need replacing. Chances are the slave will, but these aren't expensive

Seller wants $500 for the kit + freight (hes in Nelson so I aint picking up). Does that price sound good? Kms on car is 130k. Cos if I need to upgrade a few things that will give me a few $s more to spend on them. Does anyone know of where I can find a list of what is required to do the conversion so I can double check with seller its all there?

Keep in mind you'll need a new clutch kit as well. The price varies depending on where you go, and if you get any deals. I got mine for $330+ Gst from BNT, and my flywheel skimmed for $30.

All the little bits add up. Look at the condition of the master and slave cylinders, and see if they need replacing. Chances are the slave will, but these aren't expensive

Theres no need to get a new clutch kit if it was working fine when it came out of the donor car. It could be done as preventative maintenance but its not essential.

Seller wants $500 for the kit + freight (hes in Nelson so I aint picking up). Does that price sound good? Kms on car is 130k. Cos if I need to upgrade a few things that will give me a few $s more to spend on them. Does anyone know of where I can find a list of what is required to do the conversion so I can double check with seller its all there?

Gearbox

Shifter setup / linkage etc

Clutch / Flywheel

Throw out bearing

master / slave cylinder

clutch line

pedal box

drive shaft