Sign in to follow this  
flake

what is this? m50 part issing

started piecing the engine back together last night, hoses wires etc. and notice two hoses didn't go anywhere as if something was missing. posted a picture, looks like number 11 is missing on my engine. what is this part called? any help

thanks

post-4454-1263743559.png

Air temperature operated thermostat that opens to allows hot water to go to the throttle body to stop icing up. It fits into the airfilter air box

Edited by *Glenn*

Free bump if anyone sees this and has one, we need one asap to get his m50 up and running. Pm me if you have one. Cheers

Free bump if anyone sees this and has one, we need one asap to get his m50 up and running. Pm me if you have one. Cheers

Just join the 2 hoses temporarily or blank them off...its not going to worry it

M20's have the same setup... I thaught it was odd having water pipes attached to your t-body at first :lol:

Join the hose from the head straight to the throttlebody. You can cut and maneuver the hose (#14) to fit where #15 would go on the throttlebody. Then ditch hose 15.

If your car isn't going to be sitting in minus zero temperatures, you dont need it. I've never hooked mine up.

according to this internets it's "tuning" to remove them on an M20. Be nice if he told you what removing them would acheive.

M20's don't have a thermostat on them though, And it's easily bypassed using the stock hoses. It's harder on the m50 because you would have to twist around the big 'T' hose that splits to the throttle body, expansion bottle, firewall etc, you would need to join it to the cooling rail thing on the m50. I don't think you can really do it that way though. It's no biggie anyhow.

Guest Ari Gold

Just join the 2 hoses temporarily or blank them off...its not going to worry it

This. Extremely common to do this on E30M50 swaps

thanks guys, guess i'll be bypassing the valve then

I welded up the barbed fitting that goes in the head, and used the spider hose from an m20 (hose #6 in that diagram), since it dosent have the little hose coming off it.