Sign in to follow this  
wolliver

m20 sump removal

hey all, just wanting to know if there is a way to remove the sump from my m20b25 without having to remove the block.

driving home the other day and heard the most awfull noise coming from the engine, pulled over and it sounded like it was coming from the head (like a broken rocker or something) so took the rocker cover off, but all seemed ok, but noticed that water had gotten into the oil, so i removed the head cause i thought i may have blown the head gasket, but that seemed fine, no blow outs. now i just want to take the sump off too see if anything has broken off from a con rod or something.... so if anyone knows a way to take the sump off without removing the block from the engine bay it wil be much appreciated

thanks

hey all, just wanting to know if there is a way to remove the sump from my m20b25 without having to remove the block.

driving home the other day and heard the most awfull noise coming from the engine, pulled over and it sounded like it was coming from the head (like a broken rocker or something) so took the rocker cover off, but all seemed ok, but noticed that water had gotten into the oil, so i removed the head cause i thought i may have blown the head gasket, but that seemed fine, no blow outs. now i just want to take the sump off too see if anything has broken off from a con rod or something.... so if anyone knows a way to take the sump off without removing the block from the engine bay it wil be much appreciated

thanks

We support the engine and lower the subframe to do it... but then we have the right gear to do it, and we do it on a hoist

I was able to get the sump out by just lowering the steering rack and lifting the engine a bit with an engine support, but it gets a bit messy wedging it back in with the gasket goo everywhere so in heinsight I would lower the subframe.

Undo the oil lever sensor and ground strap before you start, and don't forget to put them back on!

An electric drill with a 10mm bit would be really handy for getting to most of the bolts around the edge of the sump.

Don't over tighten the little bolts all around the edge of the sump! I cant remember what the official torque spec is but its really low and I managed to strip one by going a bit over.

If you are lifting the engine it would pay to inspect the engine mounts and replace them while you are at it.

http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/oilpan.html

glhf

Yeah it is possible by just removing the steering rack, undoing the sump bolts, then you need to drop the sump down and use a 13mm open end wrench and take the oil pump off, drop it into the oil pan and the oil pressure valve (about 24mm?), then the sump will slide right out.

Helps if you can lift the engine a lil, its a tight squeeze especially going back on. Also installing the oil pump is a pain, have to line up the drive rod by feel. And the pressure valve is a PITA to get on also. But it doesn't take long.

Edited by e30ftw

then you need to drop the sump down and use a 13mm open end wrench and take the oil pump off, drop it into the oil pan and the oil pressure valve (about 24mm?), then the sump will slide right out.

I didn't have to do that and I rekon you'd be wiser to drop the subframe instead.

Depends if you hoist the engine or not. I didn't cos I didn't have a hoist.

Definitley easier by removing the subframe etc, just creates abit more extra work. First time I swapped my oil pan I dropped the entire front subframe and suspension out and hoisted the engine in place. If I had a hoist the other time I changed it, I would have gone this way again as it's much less hassles. But i didn't so i tryed the slide out method I found on e30tech.