Sign in to follow this  
Malvmeister

Hey yall :)

Hey everyone, my names Mal and am From Chch. Just got my first bimmer not long ago, my pride and joy -- a very tidy 1993 525i in Diamantschwarz Grey, Vanos Motor, perfect body, done 245,000k's but the engine runs very sweet. Oh and it has a sunroof! Can have some pics up if you's interested.

Got alot of plans for this car, and I will probably end up throwing alot of money at her, but its worth it and im all too happy. Basically I wanna do the wheels&tyres, suspension, sounds, leather interior, exhaust, and keep it real clean. Im a car fanatic through and through, and this car begs to be driven and enjoyed, the perfect car for me!

It does have some minor faults though, the dash pixels, wheel shimmy, the stereo, some oil leaks, 1st-2nd gear jolt, could use new brakes and tyres. Ive looked into the gearbox thing, and its been documented and ive looked into it. Its livable for the time being, I just use snow mode. But yeah I am really fussy and dont wanna just leave it like that.

I could have it fixed for one and a half grand, and have the problem pop up again, but I like a sureshot and rock solid job! So Im looking to convert to 5 Speed manual, and possibly bigger motor, so still in the process of sussing it out. So yea anyone whos pulled it off, anyone who wants to talk biz, know any contacts, im keen :)

Look forward to meeting you all, cheers!

+++ Pictures Added +++

post-5270-1264909657.jpg

post-5270-1264909682.jpg

post-5270-1264909700.jpg

post-5270-1264909717.jpg

post-5270-1264909738.jpg

Edited by Malvmeister

Welcome to the forum Mal... would you mind editing your profile (Location) I know your from CHCH...but it helps further down the track

Hey sorry for the slow response, just got my car back from the shop. So yeah the gearbox is behaving a bit better now. So yeah Ive been looking for a long time to find a car in that colour with the Shadowline trim and the Black/Black non woodgrain interior and the sunroof. Leather interior would have been great, but hey that's something easy to change, could use a respray down the track. Even when I was like a little kid this was the car I wanted to have. So yeah I'm still looking at getting a new engine. Have put a lot of thought and research into this and have settled on the Ford Barra engine for my car.

The BMW engine is a Gem, but yeah I gotta have a big engine. Ive always liked big sixes and eights, and its exactly what I'm after. I Don't know how long this will take, and ill be tackling this by myself mainly so I wont let on too much more till I have it in the car and running! Just thought I'd mention my intentions. Theres one fella in Aussie is doing this to his E30 right now. 4 litre engine, dohc, 180KW, Straight 6, Lots of potential and upgrades, sounds good in my books!

Cheers

ooooh i dont think thats going to go down too well here!

Tried to see it for its merits, but yeah damn that one might come back and haunt me if I pull it off. Having a 4 Litre sure is tempting though. But in all seriousness I do need a bigger engine, my second choice was to build a stoker out of the M50 and 5HP18, only questions I would have is in regards to the Vanos and Tuning. I have pulled and put together engines before, and know fabrication so I'm pretty confident with this sort of stuff.

Have you heard of an E34 540i before? by far and away you cheapest option. 4L BMW V8 and will probably be the same output as your ford engine. not to mention its N/A and has potential

Yeap, 180kW < 210kW, and its been done plenty before

Welcome to BS :)

Heya guys. Oh yeah know the 540i, been in one boy what a car. I just ain't feeling the sound of the engine in that car though. But yeah that can be changed though with the right headers and exhaust.

Yeah its a pretty crazy idea the ford engine but yeah my reasoning behind the Ford engine was that its dirt cheap and plentiful, its a straight 6, so it would sound right in the car, and not an expensive swap if you know what your doing.

The power and potential are just bonuses but not my main priority. But it does kill me a bit inside to be honest, but if there's any consolation, no one needs to know whats under the hood, and its reversible B)

I used to have a honda legend with a 3.2 litre sohc with 215hp or something, and similar weight to this car. And that thing could destroy a stock wrx, so if that's anything to go by I can imagine what a M50 Vanos would be like, and Im leaning toward that right now.

Edited by Malvmeister

Heya guys. Oh yeah know the 540i, been in one boy what a car. I just ain't feeling the sound of the engine in that car though. But yeah that can be changed though with the right headers and exhaust.

Yeah its a pretty crazy idea the ford engine but yeah my reasoning behind the Ford engine was that its dirt cheap and plentiful, its a straight 6, so it would sound right in the car, and not an expensive swap if you know what your doing.

The power and potential are just bonuses but not my main priority. But it does kill me a bit inside to be honest, but if there's any consolation, no one needs to know whats under the hood, and its reversible B)

I used to have a honda legend with a 3.2 litre sohc with 215hp or something, and similar weight to this car. And that thing could destroy a stock wrx, so if that's anything to go by I can imagine what a M50 Vanos would be like, and Im leaning toward that right now.

M60b40 = 282hp and is one of the sexiest sounding V8's on the planet when the pipes have been done properly, imo. These were voted the worlds best engine by wards for both '94 and '96

If your hell bent on a swap though, then I'd either go the turbo ford engine or a lexus V8. But either way, thats going to cost you lots of coin. In which case, i'd get a 540.

M60b40 = 282hp and is one of the sexiest sounding V8's on the planet when the pipes have been done properly, imo. These were voted the worlds best engine by wards for both '94 and '96

If your hell bent on a swap though, then I'd either go the turbo ford engine or a lexus V8. But either way, thats going to cost you lots of coin. In which case, i'd get a 540.

Haha not saying it doesnt sound nice. Its a cross plane V8 and produces rich tones and bass. For this particular car I want a more raw sound to match the overall character of the car, just my preference. But yeah I could always change that by fabbing some 180 Degree headers to make it sound like a flat plane.

So yeah that would be my best option. But yeah check out what a Maserati V8 sounds like and ya'll get what I mean. Might have to travel to find the right one but its worth it, and got a good doner car right here B). Sorry for being so fussy ay, but yeah Cheers for your thoughts guys really got me thinking.

+++ Ive found a 540i For sale. good kms, cheap, sunroof, got a good doner car here ;) +++

Edited by Malvmeister

Its custom as far as I know. There may be a video on youtube or something. Will check later.

Standard 540 exhausts are pretty sedate. They still sound fantastic but once you do the exhaust nothing compares in my opinion.