Sign in to follow this  
Wom

Strange Noise & Steering Issue

Hi

Last night while driving around I heard a slight noise coming from what I believe to the be the front left side of the car.

It sounds very similar to a stone stuck in the brakes, but there is no noise when braking.

The noise only happens when I go over little bumps in the road, like man-hole covers for example.

Before I start pulling my car apart and checking that everything is nice and tight and where it should be, is there anywhere specifically I should be looking?

1996 E36 323i Coupe with motorsport options

Cheers

Edited by *Glenn*

Jack that side up and turn the wheel by hand. If the noise is there it can only be brakes or a stone caught in there somewhere.

cheers, will give that a go first tonight and post up results

hey

Sorry I haven't got around to jacking the car up and checking the wheels yet.

I'm hoping that it wont be raining tonight so I can give it a go (no fun doing it in the wet, and don't have a garage).

anyway, I think I have another issue now

I've noticed in the last couple of days that it's taking quite a lot of turn on the steering wheel before the wheels start responding

very noticable at slow speeds (anything less than 30kph), like backing out of the driveway for example

I'm having to turn the wheel further around than normal just to get small corrections in the wheels while moving slowly

on the motorway it's hardly noticable at all

happens while reversing and driving forwards

could the noise and the steering possibly be related?

I'm guessing that question is like asking how long a piece of string is :)

I'm thinking this might be best to get checked out by a pro, but am curious as to what kind of repairs / repair bill I may be in for, or if there may be something I could check out before taking it to a mechanic?

Hi

Last night while driving around I heard a slight noise coming from what I believe to the be the front left side of the car.

It sounds very similar to a stone stuck in the brakes, but there is no noise when braking.

The noise only happens when I go over little bumps in the road, like man-hole covers for example.

Before I start pulling my car apart and checking that everything is nice and tight and where it should be, is there anywhere specifically I should be looking?

1996 E36 323i Coupe with motorsport options

Cheers

might be your anti rattle clip on your caliper has gone missing?. the steering could be a worn rackend or at worst the rack its self?, these are the common faults i seem to come across alot. best to get it to a hoist and have a look.

Doesn't sound good or safe, suggest you rip the wheel off soon as possible and check for any loose suspension/steering parts.

Check your power steering oil level.. I think you may have leak. The noise is caused by fluid/air cavitation

Edited by *Glenn*

The noise is caused by fluid/air cavitation

You need a medal for your diagnostic genius-ness

ok, checked the power steering reservoir, plenty of fluid in there

I wiped the dipstick on a rag and it is nice and red

but when I looked down into the reservoir it didn't look that red

anyway, I jacked up the car to have a look underneath

damn it's oily under there and there's a couple of spots on the driveway that look dirty red

took some photos (I can post hi-res if required) ...

post-2919-1264476780.jpg

post-2919-1264476786.jpg

post-2919-1264476805.jpg

I noticed this piece in particular looks like it has snapped off from where it is supposed to be

post-2919-1264476792.jpg

post-2919-1264476798.jpg

oh and also, I spun the wheels, just the slight noise from what I'm presuming is the friction of the brake pad

but I did notice that the bump stop is sitting at the bottom (this is the left wheel)

is it supposed to be there, because on the right wheel it stayed up when I jacked the car up

also the orange rubber part appeared to be broken

post-2919-1264475504.jpg

cheers

Buggar.. If I could check the car and drive it to hear the noise that concerns you, I'd be in a better position to help.. will recheck your posts and try and evaluate something from this in the morning... got freinds coming soon

Definitely looks like red fluid has been leaking around in there...

Why not give that whole area a nice degrease and could clean up then see if it's still leaking or been like that for quite some time?

yep gonna degrease it shortly and take it for a drive

cheers for the help so far everyone

if there's any more pics I could take or any further info I could provide, let me know

... actually, I might try getting a sound clip of the noise it makes

have to wait until late though, traffic noise tends to drown it out

yep gonna degrease it shortly and take it for a drive

cheers for the help so far everyone

if there's any more pics I could take or any further info I could provide, let me know

... actually, I might try getting a sound clip of the noise it makes

have to wait until late though, traffic noise tends to drown it out

can you take a pick of caliper and disk etc.

dayum.. thats dirty.. and i thought my one was oily dirty before hahaha

lol yea used up a whole can of degreaser on it last night and still didn't get it as clean as I would like it

if it helps with diagnosis, I was doing a wee bit of off-roading on Saturday, only briefly (less than 1km) but it was gravel and quite bumpy

just thinking that it may possibly have made something fall out of place

Kerry - will take a picture tonight when I get home

[edit] mods - could you maybe update my thread title to Strange Noise + Steering Issue

Edited by Wom

Don't worry about your bump stops, you should be able to move them up and down anyways, if they get a bit of use then they eventually deteriorate.

quick update,

gave the mechanical warranty company a call to discuss and they said to take it into the mechanic to get fixed, so looks like it's covered under warranty (boy has that saved me a bit of coin)

rung the mechanic, all booked in for Monday morning

he thinks from what I told him on the phone that maybe something has broken, possibly a universal joint, but he can't really pinpoint what's wrong without hoisting the car up and having a look around

thanks for your time and help everyone, it is very much appreciated

I'll post up the results once I get it back from the mechanic

the mechanic has had a look at it today

he said that the left ball joint is pretty stuffed and he'll replace that

couldn't find anything else wrong, so he's pretty sure that replacing the ball joint and getting a wheel allignment will fix it all up

he also said that when taking it for a road test that he didn't notice anything wrong with the steering ... which is something I also noticed .... that it is only noticable at very low speeds (less than 15kph)

unfortunately wont be able to pick it up until wednesday as they're quite busy at the moment

left side ball joints replaced, wheel alignment done

steers good now :)