Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

3 weeks and counting.

I have 3 weeks to buy a car.

Looking for a bimmer(e30) if possible because I'd rather not screw around with a runabout as I dont have time to sell it again.

Anything in good nic considered - under $3000 would be ideal but could go slightly higher.

Facelift would be preference but cant go past a good looking pre-fl.

cheers

Andrew

Edited by E30stz

BMW

thats quite a short time to have a car

this looks ok

if i had cash id go have a look at it

sure its not perfect but at short notice its usually hard to find exactly wat u want

yeah 3 weeks is a short time - I could drive mums car for a week or two after the 3 weeks (uni starts) which would leave her slightly stranded but thats no biggy.

That car looks a little bumpy for me soz. I'd rather not have to get it fixed before I buy, but I spose in such short time and with a limited budget, thats what I should expect.

Cheers anyway, I will still keep it in mind because pictures can be decieving. I may as well have a look at it, will talk with my old man and see what the go is.

Ok I'm probably going to make an offer on a beamer. Any suggestions as to what you might pay for this - i guess its hard having not seen it but try give some advice based around how I describe it.

Been to see a few now and have decided I'm happy with this one.

The car is a BMW 1989 318i 2door coupe on 101,000 km in dolphin grey. Car has full service history with Team McMillan from time of import as well as before time of import. The car is well groomed on the inside, with Clarion CD/Mp3 Headdeck. Is very well cleaned inside and out (although I'll be doing meguiar 3 step straight afterwards 2 get that extra bit outa it). Has 4 brand new tyres balanced and fitted running on good ol bmw hubbys. BMW original spare tyre - never been used supprisingly. Full BMW toolkit. Power steering, electric windows and mirrors. Alarm. Slightly tinted windows.

Judging from what I've seen it rates in very good condition (8/9 outa 10) in comparison with on E30's I've seen so far.

Minor problems -

• Air conditioner will need refil of gas supposedly
  • Drivers electric window made funny noise
  • Need to check it has a jack
  • Japanese numberplate holder still attached to rear (yucky)
  • Slight cracks in dash
I have his numberplate and am going to ring Team McMillan BMW to get a check on what they think about the car.

Have been told no rust whatsoever as well as no leaks. I'm keen to get the buyer to have a BMW pre-purchase inspection done and then a full service to repair anything that may need repairs.

Will also make sure to do a VIR check before purchasing if I choose to buy the car.

cheers guys

E30stz aka. Andy

Edited by E30stz

Minor problems -

* Air conditioner will need refil of gas supposedly

* Drivers electric window made funny noise

* Need to check it has a jack

* Japanese numberplate holder still attached to rear (yucky)

* Slight cracks in dash

Don't believe what owners will say about things, get under the car and look for rust, paying particular attention to the common spots. Also get inside the car and check if it's really dry, you don't want a leaky car. The a/con is probably busted, is commonplace for people to say it needs gassing when really it's farked.

As for the list, if the a/con is busted just remove it for the weight and power gains, good for 318's.

Window may need lube?

Jacks are easy to replace

Jap plate surround is a no brainer

Dash cracks are common place, if not too bad then you can get them vinyl welded with price depending on quality. I paid $35 for the last repair, 3 cracks, 1 major (2cm), okay quality.

Edit: 100ks is the mark for repairs, so they say, mine's sitting on 102,000 right now, had it since 57,000. Mine needs cam belt redone as I don't know if it's been done and I doubt it. See if team McM have done the belt, if not you'll probably want to do it :)

Edited by ///Carl

Cambelt was done at 87,000 km's and is documented in the service history. I did a pretty good check for dampness in all corners of boot and lifted up a few slides of carpet in the front.

I think it may have been the electric window motor and as it hesistated a bit.

I have a mechanic friend whose gonna come next time to have a look at the car and give us the low down on what he thinks.

Drove - > this car today .. test driving it because of specs - not interested becuase of price being way too high but specs were similar. It was very much a POS and I wouldnt go near it with a km long barge pole. Its been in an accident - tyres out of alignment with steering wheel, shocks need replacing, water in the boot as well as other signs of water damage. Cambelt obviously needing replacing. Engine was a bit rough, brakes were mushy and steering was loose and too top it off the paint had scratches all round it :).

Edited by E30stz

Hi. where did you get your dash repaired. i have a few cracks in mine. thanks

Cracks always appear in the standard stress places - unless you a good person and protect your dash...

Most common spot is in the right corner of dash recess/nieche, usually splits towards the passenger. Easily welded.

Also in the recess the left corner and middle crack. I've also seen cracks at the back of the dash backwards from the tacho display arches.

Once cracks get too big you can't weld them, pays to get onto them smartly.

Carl I think he means where did you go to get them repaired :).

P.S love that new sig there Bimmerboy

Edited by E30stz

I bought mine early 2000 (1990 jappa) and it had one little crack.

If only people used armourall more often :(

motor cycle shops often do plastic welding - as the repair fairings. I am going to try to patch mine with black marine silicone as it will give as the crack widens, and be almost invisible (i hope).

Also, I was told that armourall is no good on these dashes as it protects from UV but also hardens this particular material. baby Oil is the way to go or so I'm told.

As far as price? $4500 or their abouts??

My car was very similar to yours when I bought it, but without any of the probs you mentioned, but it needed the cam belt done. It has done 100300km and I am hoping it will be one of the few that don't require lots of work around this time :)

Guest WAGON

the hubby wheels are 14 so buy my bottle caps and change the tyres then you have a good set on bottle caps and burnout tryes wait......

318 ok squeling tyres :mosh:

just joking i used to have a 318 could spin it up and they can get very sideways in the wet lol :pimp:

go the 318

Edited by WAGON

Guest WAGON

kinda you have to throw it to get it sideways watch out for under and oversteer bimmers are famous for that

just joking i used to have a 318 could spin it up and they can get very sideways in the wet lol :pimp:

go the 318

you right there, especially with as much negative camber as me.

Seriously though, E30's can be quite nasty, especially in the wet. Lots of people have been caught out, myself included.

Edited by petone

any suggestions on offers I should make on this car. I'm buying the car without any of hte problems listed as they will already have been serviced and fixed. The car has been very well taken care of it seems and I know you guys are making this estimate based around what I've said and I realise you would not be as realisitc as if you had seen it first.

Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

I bought mine early 2000 (1990 jappa) and it had one little crack.

If only people used armourall more often :(

silicon based products are actually what f**ks the dash. It will crack over time if you use armour all on it.

Don't use anything - just wipe the dust off it.

recap on specs as I need a some more suggestions on price so that I know what would be a fair offer. Not that it would be intirely accurate.

BMW 318 1989

Delphin Grey Metallic 2 Door coupe

101,000 km's

Full Service History

4 brand new tyres fitted and balanced

Regularly serviced @ Team McMillan

Clarions Mp3/CD headunit

Powersteering

Alarm

Tints

Electric Windows

Electric mirrors

Full BMW tool kit

Car has been well cared for. Drives great. Clean inside and out - no scratches - dash has few small cracks and a slight tear in the drivers seat. The conditions of my offer are that it runs through a BMW Pre-purchase inspection and has everything fixed before purchase.

Advice on offers please.

I find that on here most people when giving ideas of pricing give quite low estimates - these are prices the cars sometimes go for, but the general market is a bit higher. You can wait till the right car at the right price comes along, or you can pay what the market commands and get the right car now.

Without seeing it, an offer of 3 - 3 1/2 would prob be a good starting point, but I wouldn't be surprised if the car attracted 4 - 4 1/2 if the owner is patient. maybe even 5k. I know that's not what most on here would be prepared to pay, but its prob what he/she could get for it.

People here often make comments like "that car isn't worth that", but at the end of the day, the value of something is what a willing buyer is prepared to pay a willing seller. Economics 101.,

Edited by bravomikewhiskey