Sign in to follow this  
bekker

E34 feedback please

Hey guys want to ask for some general feedback on E34's. This is a 'how longs a piece of string' kinda question, so if your not interested please don't comment.

Background: Took the E28 for 'pre' warrent check yesterday and the news is not good. Three areas of structural rust, steering componants and a few other minor things. At this stage I'm thinking probably not economical to repair.

So I was looking last night om TM and there seem to be some very good value E34's (and even an few E38's!).

There were a number of V8 530's and they seemed well priced. I like to know whether, performance aside, there is any reason why these are better than a similar equiped 525 (M50). I presume they are a bit thirstier. I can't see myself being dissapointed with the performance of a 525 so what are the advantages / disadvantages of the 530.

Are they better value because they are perceived to be more costly than a 525 but not a desirable as a 540?

Want a touring but don't think time will allow me that at this stage.

Any advice and feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rohan

BTW I may be in the market so if anybody knows of a good one for a fellow bimmersporter please let me know.

Edited by bekker

The maintenance on an m60 would be greater than the m50. Parts are more available for the m50's i'd imagine, as they came in e36's as well.

I don't believe e34's in general are that expensive to maintain. Especially with great sponsors/forum users like Ray/Gavin and Brent.

Any preference for manual or auto? 530i's are not very common in manual at all.

Any preference for manual or auto? 530i's are not very common in manual at all.

Cheers, preference is for manual :rolleyes: but I dont like the odds and time will be against me too.

The support on here and from sponsors is one of the main reasons I'm looking at another BMW - help is never far away!

i think there is a few e34 m50 manuals on trademe at the moment. but are quite high in the price range.

considerd an m30 manual? ive got two and are more then good enough for daily driving and the odd thrash around. but they are fairly thursty

Id buy a M50 525i or M30 535i(if you want more power) over the 530i. It would be alot easier to work on, prob cheaper & easier to obtain parts and easier to find a manual. My old 535i felt just as quick as a 530i i drove recently.

Guest Simon*

The 535 manual with the big 6 M30 is the diamond amongst these. Would be my recommendation, hands down

have owned and driven most .

the m50 525i is just ok when a manual , but i bit slack when a auto .

535i is good all rounder , but thirsty .

the 530i v8 not to bad on fuel and power .

the v8 engines are pretty much a sealled for life type , and dont require much work , except the water pump type stuff .

my mate will have a e34 92/94 525i auto touring for sale soon .

and also a e34 520i touring with 5spd manual .

also excutive e34 520i 1995 sedan

i have a 530i v8 for sale . red with black leather . tidy

BTW I may be in the market so if anybody knows of a good one for a fellow bimmersporter please let me know.

I know someone selling a E34 535i manual if you want me to arrange a time for you to check it out?

Located in Upper Hutt

After having mine, I would buy another when I have more money to splash about.

But it would need to be manual. An auto one just wouldnt tickle my fancy.

They really are a definitive BMW of the 90's, got all the character you could want, top quality, built to last, just a really nice car to be in if your behind the wheel of a decent one.

My suggestion is go go for the 1993+ models as they came with a wider front kidney grill which just sets the car off.

I was thinking pretty late in the production as I want airbags. I love the idea of a 535is (theres one for sale just round the corner) but can't really justify the running costs.

Having said that, the more I check out the E38's on TM the more appealing they become. Interestingly, the info I found (parkers.co.uk) on the E38 says that the 740 was most economical, followed by the 730, and lastly the 728. I figure this is all about power to weight but I always thought the 728 was introduced as an 'economy' model.

Dont go E38... they are more trouble than they are worth. Big old heavy cruisers..

And at least with the 5 series, they are lighter, more sporty and more simple in certain ways.

535is would be far more fun and just as comfortable than any small engined 7 series.

Dont go E38... they are more trouble than they are worth. Big old heavy cruisers..

And at least with the 5 series, they are lighter, more sporty and more simple in certain ways.

535is would be far more fun and just as comfortable than any small engined 7 series.

seven would be more comfortable than the 535is.The is can be a little harsh in the suspension esp if the road is uneven side to side.But the payoff of the IS is when you want to go a little faster round the bendy bits with little penalty on the way there.The e34 aint exactly a lightweight.My 535is is 1700 kg with me in it(might even be 1800 kg)

Edited by kiwi535

My 50c (23cNZ!)

i've had a 530i for 2 years now, daily driver, nothing spesh. I rate it A for Awesome.

Yeah the 6's are okay, but get yourself a V8 quad cams etc. 180kw, about the same as similar year SS commondoor...

Awesome transmissions, even an auto; has the sports economy, sports is beefy, econ is blah. they use these transmissions in rolls royce, sealed for life, no dipstick.

Throw a decent exhaust on it, throw away the hearse style muffler.

IMO nothing like a V8 pulling 7k. reasonable on gas, i get 600k from a tank, bit less just round town. Average is about 11km/100k's, have had it down to 9.3 sole higway trips.

Good luck finding a manual, I'vegot a guy who can import a motor & gearbox for $500, about $1500 $US.

Definitely sexier look, the V8, or post '93 with the wide grill & power bulge wider bonnet.

Do think it lacks a bit mid range torque, but it's only 3 litres so give it a break...

I can get a 4.4 V8 6 speed manual for about $5k. buy US, imported in container of american boat anchors!

Check the temp on that pic!

Edited by Simon*

My bros selling a MINT 1991 535i manual, 17" wheels, grey leather recaros.

PM me if interested.

Personally I'd go NZ New 540i, I've owned a 535 manual, and auto in the past as well as the current 540i, and for what I use the car for the auto is the better deal. The big disadvantage is the M30 manual box is the heavy clutch, if you are in "stop/go" traffic as part of your daily driving, you will soon fuind out what I mean.

NZ new generally is a better spec of car, and my preference is for a leather interior, as it seems to wear better than the cloth. Watch out for rust in the english imports, and a search through the forum will get you the opinions on either Japanese or Singapore imports.

Only issues to look out for is the front end shimmy, caused by the front arms wearing out, worn shocks , and the usual dash dash display issue.

The V8 is slightly less economical around town (15 vs 16 mpg ), but is much better than the 3.5 six on a trip, and with the 3.5, the auto is more economical than the manual. The only time I saw more than 20 mpg on the trip computer on my 535 manual, was between Christchurch and Dunedin , when we picked up the 3.0S. My 535iA would regularly see between 21-23 mpg touring, and with the V8 we have seen over 25.

Given the higher mileages these cars have done, I wouldn't buy a 535 manual without evidence that the gearbox has had its bearings done, my car ws done at 120K, and was horribly expensive (luckily I took insurance). Drive the autos from cold - if they have any shifting issues from cold - sticking in gear or shifting into "neutral", chances are that the organic clutches are starting to wear out. A service and clean out will sort this temporarily, but you will need to do something with the box over time.

interesting about the bearings in the manuals , my manual gearbox in the e28 m535i (same as used in a e34 535i ) had done over 500,000km before the bearings started to go .

have had plenty of other e34 535i's with manual boxes , lots of other 300k etc all seam fine .