Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

No power going to windscreen washer motor - E39

Seems like a common fault from what I've been reading on bimmerfest.com. Unfortunately I couldn't find any solutions published anywhere!

Fuses 2 & 4 are fine, I've swapped them out to make sure and there's still no difference.

I've tested the voltage going to the washer pump and there's nothing when you pull the wiper stalk. Interesting enough there seems to be 4.44v going constantly to the second headlight washer motor which makes me think the control unit is stuffed. The washer concentrate pump (which I completely removed a few months ago because it was leaking) gets 12v when you pull the stalk - so that's working fine.

So... anyone have any idea's what's wrong or what I need to replace? I'm REALLY hoping it's not a wiring fault! I've thought about wiring the washer concentrate pump plug to the windscreen pump just to give it something for the interim.

Thanks all!

Gareth

Edited by vyking56

Have you tried plugging the concentrate motor back in? Perhaps it needs to be there to complete a circuit ( just guessing )

Also try swapping the concentrate and main motors / pumps , they are the same, on mine it was a faulty motor - maybe worth a try in case you are just getting wrong readings on your multimeter.

All the best!

Edited by camera doctor

Aha! The motor I thought was for the windscreen wipers is actually the one for the headlamp washers.

I've put a 12v source to the windscreen washer motor and it does nothing. The other motor I had from the concentrate bottle seems to be stuffed too - so off I go to find a replacement.

comon fault for those washer motors to pack up . i have some in stock

I pulled the motor out, smacked it around, used some harsh language and it fired up when I put power to it again... so the brushes must be pretty worn. It's back in the car and working for now.

Do you have new ones, or second hand ones? Let me know a price if you would, I'd better grab another for when this one packs up. I've asked Ray for a price also, but it would probably be better with a new one for a spare.

Have some. PM answered.