Sign in to follow this  
Carl

E36 Service Reset

I'm not able to reset my service lights using the same method on my E30 which is grounding pin 7 using my little rangi reset tool (resistor wired to tiny plugs).

Just done oil, air, and fuel filters in the E30 and E36 with 4.5L and 6.5L of respective pure golden goodness and want to reset the oil lights, the E30 reset as per usual, however, ain't done the E36 before as it's my first time servicing it and after checking online it's the same pin 7 as the e30 I tried several times and failed miserably.

Not wanting to drive into Jeff Grey and pay them to do it so what's the trick?

I'm not able to reset my service lights using the same method on my E30 which is grounding pin 7 using my little rangi reset tool (resistor wired to tiny plugs).

Just done oil, air, and fuel filters in the E30 and E36 with 4.5L and 6.5L of respective pure golden goodness and want to reset the oil lights, the E30 reset as per usual, however, ain't done the E36 before as it's my first time servicing it and after checking online it's the same pin 7 as the e30 I tried several times and failed miserably.

Not wanting to drive into Jeff Grey and pay them to do it so what's the trick?

I'm sure there is a rangi way Carl.. but we wont go there we just use our scanners... sorry I cant help

BTW: Good to see you now have a hammer

Actually, can anyone confirm or deny that Jeff Grey (Welly) charge for a reset?

Actually, can anyone confirm or deny that Jeff Grey (Welly) charge for a reset?

Is there no one down there with a scanner or reset tool you can ask ? Maybe someone on here might be able to help. We charge Jo public $10 to do it. BS members free

Ring JG and ask them?I would think they would charge something

I brought a draper service reset tool for IIRC around $60 when I brought my first E36.

Well worth it if you intend on keeping the E36.

my mate has a reset tool if you don't mind doing a journey to Upper Hutt

from some online guide ....

"turn the ignition key to position II, but don’t start the car. Get out of the car and go to the data port. Always connect pin 7 first. Once you’ve inserted one end into pin 7, insert the other end into pin 19 and hold it there for 4 seconds. Then remove the paperclip. Check the dash and the oil inspection lights should be reset. The reset occurs upon removal of the clip"

Tried that using my little rangi tool (small 350Ω resistor between two little connector plugs) which is why i'm stumped, also tried grounding to chassis as well.

Wonder if it's cause the < 1 yo bmw battery being naff. Has power to run lights and sh*t but can't draw amps to start the car, even after a full charge :(

On that note, JG said if I don't have the original receipt that they won't replace it, f**kers (don't keep all my receipts), anyone know where to get a good replacement for a 328i, century batteries on old hutt road? (also what type of battery lead/calcium, amps/cca rating etc)

Tried that using my little rangi tool (small 350Ω resistor between two little connector plugs) which is why i'm stumped, also tried grounding to chassis as well.

Wonder if it's cause the < 1 yo bmw battery being naff. Has power to run lights and sh*t but can't draw amps to start the car, even after a full charge :(

On that note, JG said if I don't have the original receipt that they won't replace it, f**kers (don't keep all my receipts), anyone know where to get a good replacement for a 328i, century batteries on old hutt road? (also what type of battery lead/calcium, amps/cca rating etc)

Century DIN 65 ZLMF (calcium)

Century DIN 65 ZLMF (calcium)

Use a test light, Bulb style(not LED) and connected it to a earth, then hold it in pin 7 for 20 seconds, with the ignition on but vehicle not started.

e36 requires more current than an e30, so test light is a safe way to do it,

Also if you require a battery call 0800 supercharge.

Best batterys on the market, being fitting them for 5 years now, and never had one come back, 36 month warrenty

Hi Pando,

Do not bridge wires etc to reset lights

I'll do it for free and give it a scan too!!

cheers

Jon

04 380 1089

Hi Pando,

Do not bridge wires etc to reset lights

I'll do it for free and give it a scan too!!

cheers

Jon

04 380 1089

Hey Jono you come down to Timaru and reset scan my compact :P

Need SRS reset after changing seats.

Yes I changed the seat belts sensors etc but SOMEONE turned the key on so they could listen to the radio while waiting for me to change seat belt sensors over. Yeah I know I should have disconnected the battery first.