Sign in to follow this  
nazistaffcar

e30 diff conversion

So a factory lsd dont like hooking hoops! Its gone boom and I'm in need of an honest diff conversion for a E30...... any clues that wont break the bank?

You can have the factory LSD refreshed (new plates).

^^ got anyone in mind? or just a general statement?

So a factory lsd dont like hooking hoops! Its gone boom and I'm in need of an honest diff conversion for a E30...... any clues that wont break the bank?

You could try getting an old open diff, weld up the spider gears and lock it up. "Hooking hoops" as you put it will still keep breaking things though.

i have a locked small case diff, i welded 8 points of the spider gears with a mig welder, had it set up quite high and could see the spider gears melting as i was welding them, i dont think they will break in a hurry and will be good for what you want as they will flick the car a lot better.

Had an interesting conversation about this same subject this weekend with a fellow e30 owner. I haven't got very far researching his solution .It is to use the factory e30 diff cradle mounts fit the lsd diff head from a r32 skyline . useing skyline inner cv's, skyline halfshafts and e30 outer cv's. like i said haven't looked to deep, its where im going to start tho.

sounds very interesting... keep us updated!

Had an interesting conversation about this same subject this weekend with a fellow e30 owner. I haven't got very far researching his solution .It is to use the factory e30 diff cradle mounts fit the lsd diff head from a r32 skyline . useing skyline inner cv's, skyline halfshafts and e30 outer cv's. like i said haven't looked to deep, its where im going to start tho.

Is it the dude who has GTS-T rear end stuff in his 13b turbo e30?

Unless you were running a Nismo, Kaaz, Cusco or simialr , the factory Nissan R200 viscious LSD units aren't wonderful.

and this brings you right back to a Clutch Type LSD which you could have rebuilt ? ie get the E30 one fixed.

People run heaps of power through them, I don't see why it needs to be changed unless you have all the parts necessary to do the conversion already.

Getting axles machined down and stuff to fit on diffierent Cv's could cost more than its worth to have a BMW unit built up properly.

From what I understand of a Shimmed Viscous lSD unit ( OEM skyline, silvia ,300zx lsd diff ) is they are not very lasting in that adding extra shims can upset bearing reload and tooth contact ruining a good diff very quickly

Using a BMW diff avoids many issues,

1)Getting cv's and axles machined

2)drive shaft and flange modifications

3) machine work spline ing and cutting axles on a lathe

4) buying the Nissan diff in the first place will cost money

4) if you already have a Nissan LSD does it need new bearings and a rebuild ? = more money to do it properly

5)certification costs could be $300 + ???

the befit I can see here would be using a complete nissan subframe and changing the rear end to multi link .

Edited by Jimmy

I think viscous LSD's respond better to wear then clutch type as there is less friction within the diff but they loose out in efficiency because it relies on fluid to transfer power.

So viscous gives you less power to the wheels..so they are sh*t.

A GTS-T lsd in an e30 is not an upgrade :unsure:

Edited by rds

a friend of mine got his e30 diff rebuilt, it has a m52 powering it and when you corner quite sharply you can hear the outer wheel skidding around, its almost a locky. it puts power down and makes the car handle great, its like point and shoot. it only cost him about 1200 and that was with new bearings and shims and alsorts. deffinatly the better way to go imo