Sign in to follow this  
BLACK DORIS

Insurance/Repair Advice Please

Hi there, a middle aged gent reverse into the side of the e30 about an hour ago.

As he was only backing up, damage seems to be limited to the front drivers door (basically at the handle), and right at the front of the rear door. A couple of narly-ish creases. Electrics (window/mirrors) and central locking still function (from boot), but the door handle will not open from outside.

I'd be surprised if there was structural damage of the pillar, but I don't know yet.

We've spoke on the phone and he has insurance.

My questions are;

What are my rights re insurance repair work?

And here's the irony, I was on my way to vtnz to have the wof checked/sorted this avo. It expires at the end of this month. I still called in to let them know what happened and to double check insurance requirements. They advised to not have it checked at the moment as it's still online as having a current warrant. (would not pass with the door handle issue).

Basically, will this affect any part of the insurance repair?

Will be in contact with the guy again later this evening, so I'd like to be better prepared before then!! He's accepted full responsibility etc so it should be fairly straight forward.

If there's no structural damage, then it's a bit of luck really as there was a wee bit of rust coming up on the back drivers door (under the quarter window) and some in the bottom front of the drivers door that needed work!! :D

I've done a quick search and Mike at the Surgery looks to be a good panel/paint shop in Welly?

Cheers in adv.

Rio

If you had a current warrent at the time of accident you [shouldn't have a problem, Well not that I can see anyway

You're fully covered, so no worries there. The only thing your insurance company might try to do is encourage you to take the car to their chosen repairer. You have the right to choose a repairer, no matter the cost, so long as they are an approved repairer of the insurance company (which most are).

Some Insurance companies will only allow their approved repairers to do repairs..... Some repairers choose not to work for some of the Insurance companies. Its a bit like lotto

Cheers all, just wanted to double check if the warrant may have been an issue.

Will update this thread when it's all been sorted.

Thanks again

Rio

I have had stuff painted at Soverign Panel and Paint here in Tawa and they do a great job, always have truckloads of cars outside getting sorted. They are an approved AMI/State repairer I think.

Bad luck about the car Rio, blessing in discuise ;)

I have had stuff painted at Soverign Panel and Paint here in Tawa and they do a great job, always have truckloads of cars outside getting sorted. They are an approved AMI/State repairer I think.

Bad luck about the car Rio, blessing in discuise ;)

Hey Nath, cheers will keep them in mind. Although Tawa is a bit far away... 'spose I could train in and back out to collect.

Yeah, I'm hoping so!! The damage is fairly minimal really (touch wood), just looks a bit hmmm - fugly! The door handles must be made from tungsten or something because there's not a scratch/dent on it, yet the paneling around it is squashed. :huh:

Spoke to the guy this evening and will be contacting State in the morning. They're actually giving him a bit of grief about the fact that since he took out his insurance policy with them he's modified his vehicle - a small camper-van. The mod is a cooker!

Anyway, I already had a spare rear drivers side door which I got from Jono51 last year and he gave me a text earlier today after reading this post to say he prob has a drivers door too if need be. Legend.