Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Dash Cluster in detail.

Been meaning to pull the cluster out of the e34 for a while now, fitted a stereo a while ago and noticed that night the three main cluster bulbs had blown. (Don't no why, had the battery disconnected).

Anyway have pulled it out and apart and thought I'd take some photos of the inner workings, bit more technical than you think huh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Greg.

Guest Simon*

That reminds me I have one cluster and a couple of OBC bulbs to change too.

Got some in a box ... somewhere .... :unsure:

Ha my OBC ones are really really faint.

Guest Simon*

Yeah mine are invisible by day and very faint at night :)

They're fiddly to swap but not really difficult from what I remember. Think I need a clever tool to slide into each side of factory headunit to release it though

Make sure you name the photos correctly. Like E34 Dash Cluster or something. Photos like that are so hard to find in a quick google. Was looking for some the other day for the E39.

I did read a thread on how to convert your standard bulbs to LED's a little while back. And they still worked on the dimmer switch which was awesome. It was for an E30 though.

The only issue with LED'ing the dash clusters is the LED's have a much skinnier light beam than that of a regular bulb.

a regular bulb throws light everywhere, when an LED may only throw a 30 degree arc out directly infront of it.

HOWEVER - LED's are getting better and better all the time ;)

Just reattached photos, my photobucket broke :wacko:

Oh and it's never a good sign when you notice the Check Engine light bulb is absent. However i believe it may be down to the AFM running at factory specs due to being unplugged because it was faulty. I've since fitted a new one so will put a new bulb back in and see what happens.

Might have come without one, mine doesn't have one (bulb is missing, but still has the place for it, if that makes sense?). From the little I know it mostly monitors emissions and such, and generally an american thing?

I did read a thread on how to convert your standard bulbs to LED's a little while back. And they still worked on the dimmer switch which was awesome. It was for an E30 though.

LEDs are usually on or off, they dim over the course of a few 10ths of a volt so thats interesting! i wonder how they did it

The only issue with LED'ing the dash clusters is the LED's have a much skinnier light beam than that of a regular bulb.

a regular bulb throws light everywhere, when an LED may only throw a 30 degree arc out directly infront of it.

HOWEVER - LED's are getting better and better all the time ;)

^^ truth

Might have come without one, mine doesn't have one (bulb is missing, but still has the place for it, if that makes sense?). From the little I know it mostly monitors emissions and such, and generally an american thing?

Doubt that, haven't heard of a vehicle that doesn't have a check light of some kind. There are signs of the cluster being removed previously so whether the this person decided they didn't want to see the light anymore i don't know, will find out tomorrow. :)

Doubt that, haven't heard of a vehicle that doesn't have a check light of some kind. There are signs of the cluster being removed previously so whether the this person decided they didn't want to see the light anymore i don't know, will find out tomorrow. :)

Yeah, could be me dreaming. Mine had been pulled out too, brake pad bulb was missing, might have been taken out at the same time.

Out of sight out of mind huh.

Ok, turns out the reason the bulbs weren't going was because the stereo was earthed?????

Disconnected the earth and the cluster lights came on.

Stereo still worked too :wacko:

The only thing i can think of is the original amp is earthing both components?

Oh and got a couple of warning bulbs from JG.