Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Glues? Plastic to Metal

Didn't really know which section to post this, guess this is close enough.

Need to glue or attach a nut onto a piece of hard plastic (For the roof racks).

My question, are there any glues that are meant for this job specifically? That will definitely work?

I've had a quick test with Ados F2 contact adhesive. Been sitting here attached for about 24 hours letting it set or harden etc. Just picked it right now to test it. Pulled straight off! :(

Obviously with whatever glue you use its best to roughen up the surfaces. Easy enough on the plastic but not the nut.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Loctite 401... be carefull though... it damages most surfaces it comes into contact with. Don't use too much and dont let it get onto anything you dont want damaged

Legends. :) Cheers for the very fast responces.

Very much appreciate the offer Braeden, I'll get back to you asap. I'll have a look around tomorrow, try and drop into AES. Need this stuff asap!

I will second Loctite 401 for plastic on metals. This stuff is ridiculously strong, but its got a low viscosity and usually ends up everywhere. It blooms on plastic also.

Edited by curryinahurry

Legends. :) Cheers for the very fast responces.

Very much appreciate the offer Braeden, I'll get back to you asap. I'll have a look around tomorrow, try and drop into AES. Need this stuff asap!

If you only need a small amount .. I've got it at work... we use it all the time to fit cylinder heads with no gaskets and subframes without bolts :P What do you want to use it for ??

Only need a tiny amount Glenn. Only enough to glue in 8 little nuts.

Its hard to explain. The roof racks I got are attached by tightening two bolts that go through a plastic bit then go through two nuts. The two nuts are held in the actual roof rack unit thing by a slit where they sit. They just sit there, but seeing as I'm using them for E36 the nuts slide out a little bit. So I wanted to use it to glue them in, hopefully then there'll be less movement and they'll be more solid.

Hopefully that makes sense? :wacko:

Happy to reimburse you mate. Would be handy actually because I don't really need a whole tube.

You need to know what plastic is to get an appropriate adhesive - are there any markings on it? Something like >PA GF30< or >ABS<? Some plastics react badly (as in stress crack), and some won't stick at all (like some nylons)...

Interesting to hear that, was wondering if there would be any problems. Heres a picture of the only markings on the plastic bits and the other couple pictures are to show what I'm trying to do. Don't think the markings tell what is made out of but could be wrong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks ABSish.

Make a 4 to1 resin mix. Add about 2 tea spoons of epoxy glue paste and stir it. Will make an awesome ice cream like substance. Don't eat it.

Bet my left nut it will work.

Yep 4 to 1 with glue powder will work for sure. If anything it will be over kill.

your old man will probably have some old sh*t in the shed.

looks more like a PP. either way it's definitely a job for a 2 part epoxy. For something like that araldite will do.