Sign in to follow this  
bmw_tonci

Whats your thoughts?

HAve any of you guys driven these cars? ive seen a few for sale at a pretty reasonable price might consider buying one soon.

Any common problems or issues?

Selespeed's are problematic, but I guess you'll be buying manual?

I looked into these a while back and from my research they're pretty solid for Alfas. A quick google for common problems will let you know what you're in for.

No sorry, couldn't find a manual one in Chch to take for a spin.

Drove an auto (not selespeed) yesterday, they are pretty quick for a 2.5 V6, this one had a AFM fault so wasn't going to its true potential, they are not bad to look at either. (This one was a wagen).

I think they are pretty good looking cars and defiantly have awesome interiors. I'm not a big fan of the front of the 156 but love the 159. Never driven one so can't be much help there sorry.

Guest Simon*

Have driven both the 2L Twinspark and the 2.5L 6 and I like 'em both a lot :) The 6 has a great raspy howl and gets up and goes.

We looked pretty hard at getting one for the GF but ended up with a Golf GTI. After the Golf they'd have to be my fave FWD cars.

Like Mark said, AVOID Selespeed

Andrea looked at one before getting the 307, they are soo incredible small inside it's not funny.

I thought Alfa's didn't come in auto, only manual and sillyspeed?

always wanted one. Might replace the soob with one IF i decide to sell. Otherwise might just encourage the GF to upgrade her honda :P

Friend had a manual

Almost as fast as my Bimmer

Sounded glorious.

He had no issues apart from a few small electrical issues/ (windows etc)

I have driven a few and love them. The driving position is grouse, interior is lovely. Go quite well for what they are. Typical alfa, sounds amazingly sexual! Handle very well for a FWD V6 too. I would own one if the e36 328 didn't exist, I just couldnt justify one for the interior and noise.

You may become addicted though, alfas have had an odd effect on me. They are beautiful cars, even the door handles feel nice!

i have a 155 v6 manual

bit torque steery

common faults are

1. guaranteed to have a dodgy fuel gauge

2. sloppy shifter (cheap bush to fix ~ $20ish

3. afms do need a clean occasionally and a tune(i haven't had to)

4. o2 sensors are a common fault again i haven't had to do one

5. wipers can be abit funny but just need a clean as they get grease from the gear drive onto the copper contact patch

i opened up the exhaust on mine gutted the cat and removed 1 muffler sounds much nicer now and still legal noise

very quick though a little thirsty

i had to change the thermostat and spark plugs not expensive but can be very hard to get too

you will need a good Allen key and Allen head socket set

btw today just a mear 3 hours after i sold my other car first gear blew (normally very good gearboxs i was just giving it to much right foot )

i heard they are damn pain in the maintenance department.. 1 min they working.. 1/2 a sec later something breaks.

was looking into into the 156 last year. saw one in the city pulling away at the stop sign.. damn nice sound!!

alfa romeos are designed to be a very good car but only for a short amount of time

alfa romeos are designed to be a very good car but only for a short amount of time

make sure the cambelt, and tesnioners/idlers/seals/waterpump has being done.

they are due every 60,000km due to crap tensioners.

You may become addicted though, alfas have had an odd effect on me. They are beautiful cars, even the door handles feel nice!

I've been in love with them ever since a 'sud burnt me bad about 15 years ago. STILL love that car.

Edited by -Alias-

I had a 155 V6 Monza and it was awesome. The 155 is a very special car but as you know with alfas you either get a Monday one or a Friday one.

We once had a 156 V6 wagon in the family and it NEVER went wrong but avoid the selespeed like the plague. the auto clutch action slow and is generally rubbish ... and its unreliable.

You must own an Alfa at some point in your life... just do it.