Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB - Ute

I know what you mean - had a guy full beam me on the way home the other night (must have thought I had my brights on). A quick flick of the highs plus spots sorted that one out. Guy prob thought I was being a prick, but his highs were definitely brighter than my lows.

Also if a car/ute has load in the back, it can cause the lights to point upwards.

don't lower your car?

nope it's all factory original

I guess it's not as bad as people with illegally and improperly fitted HiD's

Mitsi Outlanders also seem to be like that too

You can't help but cop it in the eyes at a given distance

Ha thats what she said

^^ hah - love your work.

<thread dig></thread dig>

A change of job = a change in vehicle, so I thought I'd quickly review the Mazda after 14months of ownership and introduce the new wagon...

14 months and 33,0000 kms on, and my 2010 Mazda BT-50 is still an excellent workhorse with more than ample grunt from the 3.0L tdi diesel.

Throughout ownership I can't really remember ever wanting more torque, the diesel in the Mazda really is fantastic in this respect. Occasionally I wished for a bit more top end when pushing hard, but not bad for a fully loaded vehicle that was probably well in excess of 2 tonne.

Handling was pretty good too, with minimal body roll for a vehicle this size, and surprisingly nimble considering how much weight I was lugging around, and the lack of ESP. All the weight, and a rather sensitive ABS system did mean that ABS was often activated a tad early, especially over uneven road surfaces.

Load carrying capacity is excellent, as is level and quality of interior trim. Performance from the factory CD-player is above expectation and I didn't go for the 6-speaker 6-stacker one either, so points here. Aux-in pretty impressive for a nearly standard-spec workhorse.

Other good points include compliant ride, good fuel economy, plenty of interior storage and cupholders (7 in total), and two cigarette/power jacks.

On to the bad...

Factory wheel alignment is totally rubbish. Too much positive toe and positive camber on the front. Chewed the outside shoulders on the factory front tyres by 19000km. A quick flip and rotate front to back promised an extra 2000 kms (according to the tyre/alignment expert). They then dialled back the camber to only marginally positive (almost neutral) and toe back to the limit of the factory range and we got an extra 13000km out of the tyres (with one more additional rotation later on). Handling wasn't compromised and I'd like to see another tweak on the alignment to see if further improvements can be made. The change was so dramatic (and the number of complaints from customers so frequent) that Mazda asked for my alignment sheet so they could report back to the factory and see if they might change the factory spec.

After the alignment change I did notice a front-end shimmy at around 85km/h and a rear end one at around 45km/h but this could have been due to the serious uneven tyre wear, so it will be interesting to see whether the new owner notices an improvement with new tyres.

Finally, I should note that the poverty-spec model is noticeably lacking in terms of electric windows and mirrors, and the exterior trim level is very basic. The SDX model is 10 times more attractive, and the Ford Ranger (same vehicle, but higher trim level, exterior cosmetic differences, and an extra $8k at all spec levels) is 10x more attractive again. a lot of money for a few good looks... If I had the money and was buying again I'd get the Navara which appears to be an all-round better looking, specced, and performing vehicle, but as someone posted earlier, the BT-50 punches above its weight for bang for buck and I've really enjoyed my tenure with this vehicle.

Bang for buck the BT-50 is still the best and that's something you have to hold to ransom over the Navara which I'm told are starting to have serious engine issues - no doubt due to the fact they are squeezing 450nm out of a 2.5 diesel - an engine which should be designed to do high mileage given the nature of it's intended application. I've seen top model Ranger's for sale for just under 40k + ORC - there was a nice red one at Timaru motors a few months ago when I was on my way past - they are a great looking ute.

The new Ford Ranger IMO is going to blow everything out of the water. Has anyone seen it? What I found was lacking in the NZ ranges of utes is engine size and Ford are now doing a 5 pot 147kw 470nm engine. New Ranger This ute is expected to be alot more expensive than the current model, but this is going to have ESP, Navigation, and all the bits you'd expect in a car. I really like it, especially the looks!

post-2864-1309381460.jpg

post-2864-1309381476.jpg

Had a look at the new ranger at Mystery Creek Feildays, Very very nice. Alot more room in the back compared to the current model as well. That orange also looks really good in the flesh.

If you follow a few of the STX Navara's you will notice that some of the older ones are starting to smoke under load.

Had a look at the new ranger at Mystery Creek Feildays, Very very nice. Alot more room in the back compared to the current model as well. That orange also looks really good in the flesh.

If you follow a few of the STX Navara's you will notice that some of the older ones are starting to smoke under load.

I've noticed the same, like an old Isuzu Bighorn some of them!

Our little Kia is sunset orange, the concept sounds hideous but we really liked the colour after seeing it!

Another 14 months and thankfully moving on from the 2010 Nissan X-Trail and back into a doublecab ute.

Picked up a new Volkswagen Amarok Highline Doublecab 4x4 this morning. Pics and review to come, but suffice to say it is a whole new dimension over the BT-50.

I'll try and post back after the weekend's "road trials".

I should add that the X-Trail has been an amazing car, but it is what it is. It is now going to my brother and I wouldn't sell a car to family that I didn't think was good.