Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB - Ute

So I ordered a brand new BT-50 4WD manual double cab wellside in highlight silver yesterday.

Should be here around end of next week.

Looking forward to the new ride. Outgoing ute is a clapped out 1995 Ford Courier with 383,000kms (of which I have done the last 150,000), so is a bit of an upgrade to say the least!

Was that a '95?! Have been seeing it at the garage lately haha.....

So I ordered a brand new BT-50 4WD manual double cab wellside in highlight silver yesterday.

Looking forward to the new ride. Outgoing ute is a clapped out 1995 Ford Courier with 383,000kms (of which I have done the last 150,000), so is a bit of an upgrade to say the least!

Excellent choice, you will love it

Was that a '95?! Have been seeing it at the garage lately haha.....

Yeah. It's had a hard life. It's parked there because Justin is buying it for parts. :) RIP.

Keen to check out the new ute!

You doing the march 13 poker run? I'm keen to take my finished bmw or the z in it....

Great choice Bravo, I seriously doubt you'll be dissapointed. What options did you go for? I had the Sportslid & liner, 3000kg towpack, nudge bar, sidesteps & paid aprox 39k + GST inc ORC They run in at about 3000km IMO, but you can drive it normally right from the word go. If you complain about the power, the common rail chip extention thingo is a goer, gives you 25% more torque and hp, I took mine off my BT-50 when I sold it but it made a huge difference.

It's going to be a serious work-horse and it's company money, so went for a 4wd double cab DX 3.0td. Only things missing from the SDX are alloys, single CD rather than 6cd stacker, and manual not electric windows. Everything else same as SDX. Got alot of gear to put in the back and have racks to go in, so no deckliner needed, but added a colour-coded canopy with trademan's doors ($3k), 3000kg towpack, mud mats, mud tyres all for $38k +GST on road, so you got a good price. They have gone up though - that is 20% off normal retail.

They've given me a brand new 2010 Ford Ranger XLT with all the extras in Champagne gold to use until mine arrives. When I picked it up on Friday it had 139kms on the clock (not 139,000 - 139kms, full stop.) It now has 350kms :D - I love it. Don't want to give it back when mine arrives... I've gotten quite attached...

Power is not a problem - has plenty for the type of vehicle it is. Heaps down low, so I don't really need to get it over 3500rpm before changing up and the speedo needle just scoots its way around the dial. Will be interesting to see how that changes with a load in the back (I have a bit of gear).

My mates love it too - impressed with the grunt, and can fit 4 girls across the back seat B) The girls love it too - think its awesome in that colour. Had to do a beach trip yesterday in it just because I can.

Ha, fair enough mate. There's a few other things different too from DX to SDX.

You'll get a great run out of it, uncle gives his assholes and it doesn't bother it.

Drove an auto BT-50 this morning (mates boss's truck). Man does it suck until the trans warms up! Once the auto is warm it's OK - "O/D off" is mandatory for anything except cruising - gives it more throttle response and faster pickup, but makes it a bit fidgetey at cruise.

Plus you lose a cup holder and extra storage bin from the centre console.

Glad I went for the manual.

Nice going. Good to see you went for the manual and not the 5speed auto (The auto craps out if towing alot)

I brought a Triton a few years ago because they were the only ones happy to stand by the auto with what I was towing, other wise I would have got Ford/Mazda too.

Edited by rot62

I thought the auto was smooth and better to use, I bought mine because I always rather a manual where ever I go. Ahh well, I guess Bravo chose the best at the end of the day.

Took delivery this morning more or less a month to the day since I started looking for a new ute. Pics when the weather improves.

I'm going to wish I got electric windows and mirrors, but otherwise totally stoked with it. I-pod aux-in = great. It's a funny thing, for years utes only came with cassette decks when what you really wanted was a cd stacker. Now they come standard with cd player (6-cd in-dash if you get the SDX), and all you really want is ipod interface.

Odometer reads 22km :D

Also tool kit and jack is identical to the 15yo Courier, and it still has torsion bar front and leaf rear suspension. Handles better than the old ute, but technology hasn't changed much in 15 years.

Technology on the engine has changed thats about it, otherwise it's leaf springs & a few railway sections for the chassis and thats it, a winning recipie for work IMO. I couldn't live without the electric windows mate haha. What do you think of the turning circle? If you head down to Taupo way where the land mass is bigger you should be able to get right round, otherwise it's a 3000 point turn haha, probably no change from the old one though. You'll love it, I miss mine.

What do you think of the turning circle? If you head down to Taupo way where the land mass is bigger you should be able to get right round, otherwise it's a 3000 point turn haha, probably no change from the old one though. You'll love it, I miss mine.

Turning circle is better than the old one. I used to turn right occasionally and find myself in Chile! We used to joke that the turning circle was the equator. Now I can do a u-turn on a two-lane road if I can use the parking spaces on either side. So minor improvement! God knows why the Fords and Mazdas have sh*t turning circles.

Turning circle is better than the old one. I used to turn right occasionally and find myself in Chile! We used to joke that the turning circle was the equator. Now I can do a u-turn on a two-lane road if I can use the parking spaces on either side. So minor improvement! God knows why the Fords and Mazdas have sh*t turning circles.

I was in a friend of mines 08 Hilux on Friday night heading to the pub from his farm, one thing I did notice about it was it was so bloody loud you actually had to raise your voice just to talk to people in the car, the road noise is like nothing else, I'm guessing it's because of the factory tyres, but yeah, long story short their turning circles aren't much better if at all. They don't have the grunt that the BT-50 Fordzda has.

why am I always getting full beamed by new utes?

I don't know if it's just a weird coincidence, or it's just tradesmen who like to full beam people

but it seems like every time there's one of those new big utes behind me they are either full beaming me or they must have incredibly intense bright normal lights that are the same brightness as full beams

Or utes are just higher than a normal car and the light beems directly through the back window of your car?

Guest Simon*

I know what you mean but I actually think that has more to do with the fact that their headlights are at drivers' eye level in normal cars. You can't help but cop it in the eyes at a given distance

I do hate it though

ah that might explain it then

but shouldn't that be a fail on the wof?

headlights need adjustment?