Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB - Ute

What's the best ute to buy? Value for money??? 4wd double cab wellside with canopy.

Havn't test driven yet, but been looking on the web at:

Ford Ranger/Mazda BT-50

Mitsi Triton

Nissan Navara

Toyota Hilux

Wants to be 3yrs old or newer, and as low kms as poss.

The Hiluxes seem to be the better trucks, but a 70,000km example is in the area of $40-43k, and the other brands, a 40,000km example is around $35k.

It'd be more useful in a way if anyone can tell me what to avoid from personal experience, and I can choose from what's left.

Need to make a decision ASAP want to start test driving this week to buy early next week.

Prefer the previous model Hilux to the current one. Turbodiesel ftw

Elaborate.

Haven't driven any of them... but FWIW, the Ford Ranger won the best ute shootout in New Zealand 4WD magazine.

Guest Simon*

The new ones are very "American market". Great on open road but easily outperformed by the old ones, and the old school Patrol/Safari offroad. Current model Hilux is also VERY plasticcy and parts are always falling/breaking off. Previous model was very tuff by all accounts. Diesel motors are strong throughout.

Posted Image

Forestry guys are switching to Navara's etc as they have a sturdier feel.

Direct Injection Diesel Mitsi Triton.

they go like stink.

User - "Clinton" had a BT-50

Edited by antil33t

After driving both the Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux, id say the Hilux is a better alround ute. We went with the Hilux for Dads business because it has MUCH more interior space without losing tray space. The engine is much more smooth than the Ford and alot quieter. The double cab has good space in the back and i have ample leg room (6"2).

Fords are cheaper but if you wait abit you will find a dedent Hilux for good value, and they hold the prices too.

Hiluxes tend to hold their value much better - especially turbo diesels (as you have already worked out). A mate tells me his Mazda BT50 diesel goes very well (from memory the Mazda version has a better interior spec over the Ford - could be wrong on this though) and have also heard good things about the Rodeo diesel as well.

Id steer away from the Mitsi.. mitsi diesels are mega fail. might be a little different these days but that stigma is always going to be there when it comes to getting one serviced at a non mistsubishi place.

Edit: id go Navara. from what ive heard they are the 'new hilux' and the best offroader while being pretty good on road as well. read your old Autocar issues :P

Edited by ethrty320

Have to say Mazda Bountys are very good trucks, tough as old boots, can go anywhere. And aren't bad to look at either, tritons are ugly as hell, so are the new hiluxs.

2008 Mazda BT-50, Use one for work when I need to go on sites etc

-Great Value for Money

-Great off Road

-Well speced for a ute

-Nice to drive, good seat position and very nice seats.

-Tows well

-Done 100,000 in it and only serviced it etc, No problems at all.

-Gets 600+ k's to a tank on average

Boss has a Navara STX which is also a great ute, Very nice to drive.

Can't stand the Tritons to look at, And I think the Hilux has a higher price tag attached to it beacause Hiluxs have been a great ute for 20+years.However the other brands have now caught up (possibly passed them in terms of quality) and I don't think for the premium price you get a better ute.

BT's and Rangers are very very similar.The Mazdas tend to be a tad cheaper, But in my veiw just as good and better looking.

Out of all you have listed I don't think theres a bad one, Just varying degrees of good.

Awesome. Was about to start a thread like this.. Looking for a reliable ute hack to around the 12-17k mark.

Opinions on diesel? Use as much $$ in petrol and rego as diesel charges and diesel combined? I'm quite liking the Ford Courier XLT. like this.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=257280937

I agree with he comments about Current Hilux models and previous models.

We have an older generation extra cab as a farm hack ,turbo diesel 2001ish and it has well outlasted many of the brand new shaggers we have at work not a problem at 300,000 where the shaggers seem to have bits falling off them when used hard

I work for a lines company and we have a ton of shaggers that just don't seem to cut it however the older trucks seem to be the favorite of our line mechanics over any new truck

I'd go with a Holden Rodeo - or for in the $40's if its going into a business name you can pick up the new Holden Colorado LT 4x4 Crew - awesome ute, easily capible, 3ton towing, ladder chassis etc etc. Yes i do work for a company that sells Holden - but i never see them in our workshop for any issues. They seem to be pretty bullet-proof.

my 2c anyway.

Currently driving a 2001 Rodeo and don't like it.

Interesting coment about Hilux versus the rest.

I've heard good stuff about the Mitsi's performance - certainly has the best performance on paper of any of them, but my old 1995 Mitsi L200 sucked (gutless).

Currently leaning toward Navara, BT-50, or Hilux I think.

Chris - Diesels tend to be more economical. Most of the new utes I've been looking at claim 9.2l/100km with the Hilux claiming 8.3l/100km.

I'd put real-world figures more like 10l/100km based on the gear we're carrying and driving style.

A petrol would be a bit more (based on rightcar.co.nz figures) - say 13l/100km. RUC is 4.5c/km, so Diesel costs 16c/km, where the petrol costs 23c/km roughly. So Diesel still marginally cheaper I think even with an extra $125 a year for rego.

With the Navara you can buy the latest shape the D40 and still the old shape D27 which are assembled in Thailand, sell for under $30k new.

I am looking also for a work ute so will watch this thread I am leaning towards the big datsun, I have ruled out the Colorado as I want 2WD extra/space/crewcab, and they have stopped making them in Dec 09.

The Ford has a 1.6m deck lenght in the cab variety I want so it's looking datto at the moment.

Forget Great wall if you want to live incase of an accident 1 star safety rating.

I haven't researched the BT50 but they look like a likely contender have that old tough as nuts feel about them.

Price wise Toyota, Nissan then mazda, then Ford, then Holden.

So I've had a BT-50 from the dealer for 24 hours now. Bloody good truck. Found some steep banks to take it up/down (you know what I mean Simon ;) ), and taken it out through some twisties, etc. Need to find something heavy to fill the back up with and see how it affects performance.

Need to arrange a similar "loan" of a Navara and a Hilux for comparison.

Not the same one, but one just the same. :D

Holden Colorado's are top notch. Get one!

Black on black with polished lip, and get front nudge bars and tray bars and powdercoat them black.

Will be the best thing since dragonball Z

The mazda, ford and hilux are all great utes. Have done quite a few km's in an 07 Ranger double cab 2x4. Was a very nice vehicle to drive. Went good for what it was too.

Making a decision tomorrow. Will let you know.

I think the Navara's are the best but bang for buck the Mazda BT-50 is the best.

They have more grunt than the Hiluxes too, I bought a brand new one in about March last year and loved it but had to sell with the arrival of our first born as they are a bit limited in space in the back. Get a facelift one as they have several summarised features over the near identical looking previous version. Auto is good, but I preferred the manual. I paid 45k for mine optioned and sold it for that a few months later, they do hold their value. Uncle has the identical Ranger from new and he's had a brilliant run out of it and he's hard on his gear. You should be able to find one now with moderate k's for about 35grand. I sold mine with 7000km and got what I paid for it. I towed a 2500kg boat and apart from the hills you honestly didn't know it was there. I know for a fact too that they pull harder than a new D4D Prado VX (dragged my old man off haha) They also have a bigger tow rating than the Hilux which is 3000kg (HD Fitted)

Here's my old one:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=22718&hl=

Edited by Clinton